Vibrating tail?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Vibrating tail??

I went to my Aunts house today to help them pack up their stuff to move in with us for a little bit, and while I was there I was with their cats for a little bit. One of them wasnt a nice little camper, and I couldnt really see him except for his glowing eyes hiding The other one was really nice and liked to be around me. But, sometimes he would just stand there and his tail would like vibrate. I know cats do that when their going to pounce on something, but he was just standing there doing it. Nothing else was vibrating, it was just his tail. Was there something wrong? Or is this normal? Also, we arent sure what we are going to do with KitKat and the 2 cats that will be staying with us. I have told my parents I do not want my Aunts cats with KitKat, but I dont know if their going to listen to me. I dont want any of them to end up getting hurt. Do you think we should introduce them to eachother? Or keep them apart? How do we introduce them if its the right thing to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 03:40 AM

maybe the cat was spraying something ?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Cool Cat

It depends on the cat and the situation. It's similar to the posture taken by male cats when spraying. In other cats, it's more like the most sincere, happy greeting you can get. When Assumpta is really, really glad to see me, or when she's really feeling loving, she'll come up to me with her tail straight up and quivering (hence the name "quivery tail"). Twitching and slashing tails are danger signals, and a quivery tail in an intact tom often means to stand clear...but in a friendly, altered cat, it often means a range of stuff between "hello, glad to see you" and "I love you even better than tuna fish."

If the cats will be together, you should introduce them properly over a period of weeks. Searching the forum will turn up posts on and links to how to properly introduce new cats into your home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Quote:
"I love you even better than tuna fish."
One of the neighbors had a tom who really disliked me, but thought he owned my house! If I was in the basement washing clothes, he always turned his back to me and sprayed the window. I didn't give up the house, though!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure he was neutered. At first he just stood there staring at me, which kind of scared me, because his face looks a little, well, evil? But then I nelt down and put my hand to him so he could smell me first, and then I petted his head. He meowed a lot too. But anyways, then I sat down and he kept rubbing up against me and meowing, and I just kept petting him. He rolled over, and it looked like he wanted me to rub his tummy, I tried, but he didnt like it and got back up. I dont think his tail motions were wanting me to get away, because of how he liked to be petted and kept rubbing up against me. But, I cant see how he could like me so much already when I just met him. His tail was straight up, which means their happy I'm pretty sure, and it was vibrating, so that gave me another hint he wasnt going to be mean to me when I would pet him. He just has a mean looking face that looks like he wants to attack you, but hes a sweet boy inside. My cousin had to give up her pit bull yesterday, he was sooo cute and nice!!, because they had to be out of their house today, and they were moving in with us, and we already have 2 dogs, so my mom didnt want another dog in the house, and especially a big dog. My dad wants my cousin to get it down to one cat. One cat to the pound, or a home, and one could stay with us. We all like ray the best, since Shadow hides and never comes out, and will attack anybody but my cousin. But, I think its kinda mean to get rid of Shadow just because he likes to hide, or hes mean. What do you think? I think were probably going to end up keeping both of them though.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Premier Cat

It would be sad if Shadow had to leave. Our pets love us, (unless they're mean) and they depend on us, even if they're shy. I hope he doesn't have to leave.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Tom Cat

My boyfriend's previous cat was a female and her tail vibrates a bit. It's more like really quick jerking/vibrating at the same time. Her tail is also always bent in almost a 90 degree angle near the end, like it's stuck that way. She's a super friendly cat... he thinks she might've got her tail caught in a door or something because of the bend. I didn't think anything of it, I thought that's the way she is. She didn't show any sign of aggressive at all

Angie
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

My cousin did say that he was I think 10 or 11. So, that could be a reason why hes cranky and mean. But, I would like to pet him and stuff, and I dont know how I would be able to feed him or clean the litter box if hes going to attack me. And we dont have that much room, because I already have 13 pets, and I dont want to put their 2 cats with my cat.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Premier Cat

Perhaps an outdoor play yard outside, with access to a warmer area, would help. I know it's not your decision. I just think that a pet that has been with a family for years would be greatly traumatized by being placed in a shelter. Of course, at that age, what are the odds of Shadow getting a home? I wish you the best. It's a tough situation.

Jeanie

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

I didnt think of that. Perhaps an older person would want an older cat? It doesnt matter really, it still wouldnt be nice to take him to the shelter. What do you mean an outdoor playing area thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page