Baxter suddenly scratching chair - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Baxter suddenly scratching chair

I don't know where this suddenly came from. I've had Baxter for just about a year and he has been so good about scratching in his designated places only. Suddenly he's been scratching on a chair right next to his post. When I redirect him to the post he uses it as he should but I've caught him scratching the chair 3 times in the last 4 days, and it's probably more when I'm not around. I tried double stick tape but it doesn't adhere to the chair and ended up stuck to Barnaby when he was checking it out.

His scratching post is wrapped in sisal rope and is plenty tall where the spot on the chair is only about a foot off the ground.

Currenty I have placed his post right in front of the spot on the chair so he can't get to that but I'm just wondering why all of a sudden? Any ideas why he is doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Banned

I've noticed this, too. I can only guess that he scratched it once, just to try it out, and that left his scent on the spot and he keeps coming back to the spot that has his scent.

Try masking the scent with some cat deterrent. Something I've used with success on carpet is citrus-scented Glad air freshener. Only a very little bit is needed. First, test it somewhere out of sight, to make sure it doesn't leave a stain.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 09:55 AM

I am not sure, but if you figure it out please let me know. Mikko got his claws into our brand new replica 1950's diner booth. It looks awful, holes everywhere. My husband was so livid that he's saying Mikko has to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Actually, the chair he scratches is the one he sleeps on. The post is right next to it though and always has been. When I moved the post right in front of the chair arm that he was scratching, and then made the scratching motion on the post he started going for the opposite arm of the chair which is usually where the post is right next to. I can tell he's still scratching the chair and there dead claw "flakes" on the floor right there. Maybe there is some kind of scratch deterrent at the pet store that will work. I don't have anything citrus in the house other than OJ.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 06:59 PM

I second the citrus spray, works very well on fabrics and would be worth buying and trying. I found mine at Walmart, with the air fresheners. It's in a small, white/orange, aerosal can with oranges on the front. I think it's called Citrus Magic. Side note: this stuff also deters ants and wasps.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 07:17 PM

I agree about the citrus! I've got a cat deterrant and it works on MY cat but it doesn't work on my HUSBAND's cat! but citrus works on both of them!!!!!! good luck!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Banned

I also saw this stuff at Home Depot.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:27 PM

My cats do that too sometimes. What I do - is redirect them to the scratching post and scratch it myself - if they join in I pet them or give them a treat. If you ever catch him scratching the right place reward him with a happy voice, treat or a pet if you are close. It's worth a try - and it's always worked for me if they forgot where their furniture was.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I always scratch his back when he uses the post. I've also been giving him treats right after using it since the chair problem. I will look into that citrus spray. I saw Feliway at a pet store today but WOW that's expensive. The chair is probably not worth much more than that.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

The only thing I found at WalMart is called Pure Citrus and it has a strong grapefruit scent. It seems to work though because I haven't seen him scratch the chair since. I've also been rubbing catnip on his post and he seems more anxious to use the post now.

Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page