New Cat - I'm stressed. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

New Cat - I'm stressed.

Hello I'm new!

Got a few questions for all you cat owners out there.
We got a cat on Sunday (Yesterday) from the RSPCA - he's a lovely little cat (not sure how old as he was a stray). What I wanted to ask is - why do I feel so guilty about leaving him at home when we are both at work. I know it's only the first day - but it's awful and I feel really bad. It's a shame it landed on a Sunday because he was obviously traumatised yesterday and I bet he isn't much better now!
Also I don't know whether we should bring him up as a house cat or a 'allowed to roam about' cat - it's just he was a stray and we are worried about doing that - may go off again? Do we get a cat flap installed?
We have been told to leave him in the kitchen and utility room (locked away from the rest of the house) for the next 4 weeks. Seems a **** of a long time - but only doing what the RSPCA told us to. Is it generally cruel to leave a cat on it's own when you both work? Surely the RSPCA wouldn't have let him go when they knew about this? I'm probably just worrying about nothing - but **** it's a stresser!
Also wanted to know about cat toileting as he used his tray this morning like a good little thing and then went on into the sitting room and laid us a treat there too! Surely this will take time too?

Any help/advice appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 09:50 AM

Hey don't stress, just make sure he has got loads of toys, food, water and a litter try and he will be fine.

My female cat (1.5 years old) stays in all day and we let her out at the weekends when we are about, however my older 6 year old male goes out in the morning and once he is in gets locked in by the cat flap. The female cat is perfectly contents and we play loads with her when we get home.

Cats tend to sleep alot anyway so he will be fine, just wear him out with playing with him when you get back from work.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaG
Hey don't stress, just make sure he has got loads of toys, food, water and a litter try and he will be fine.

My female cat (1.5 years old) stays in all day and we let her out at the weekends when we are about, however my older 6 year old male goes out in the morning and once he is in gets locked in by the cat flap. The female cat is perfectly contents and we play loads with her when we get home.

Cats tend to sleep alot anyway so he will be fine, just wear him out with playing with him when you get back from work.
Thanks Emma! Feel miles better already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 11:18 AM

Why did they suggest he be locked up for 4 weeks?

I wouldn't stress too much. When I got my newest cat in January I got him from a shelter and had to leave him home when I went to work that day. He had to be seperated from my other cats for 2 weeks because he had worms and a URI. I slept in the bedroom with him every night because I didn't want him to be lonely
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Banned

How about another cat to keep him company? Now would be the ideal time, when they're both new.

OK, I'm trying to work on your guilt a little to get you to adopt another cat -- part of the motivation, but two cats do keep each other company, two aren't that much more work and expense to take care of, and adopting two together is the best way to have an easy adaptation to each other.

That said, if you can't, don't worry yourself about it. Your kitty is a whole lot better off with you than with the RSPCA!!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 12:05 PM

Hello! Don't worry about leaving him alone, but like Tim says, it would be best to get another to keep each other company. When I got our two kittens I couldn't stop worrying at all, it's perfectly normal. Just play with him as much as you can so he gets the mental stimulation that he will need.

Quote:
Also I don't know whether we should bring him up as a house cat or a 'allowed to roam about' cat - it's just he was a stray and we are worried about doing that - may go off again? Do we get a cat flap installed?
This is entirely up to you. You'll find all sorts of quite heated debates on this around the forum! There is no rush for you to decide this, it's probably best that you allow him to settle in to his new home first, if you let him out he won't know that that's his home just yet. Once he's realised that your house is where he will recieve love and food, then would be the best time to let him out, if that's what you decide. I let my two cats out when they were 1 years old, and they are now fully fledged roaming cats! As long as you do your research so your aware of the pros and cons, then you'll be fine.

Quote:
Also wanted to know about cat toileting as he used his tray this morning like a good little thing and then went on into the sitting room and laid us a treat there too! Surely this will take time too?
Yup, it will take time! He's probably quite nervous and not too sure of his surroundings yet, don't worry this will probably just sort itself out!

Quote:
**** it's a stresser!
It sure is, but don't worry too much, once you get to know your cat and it's personality you will be able to sense when anything is wrong with him. In the mean time, you have the forum!

Good luck!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
It's far better that your cat can roam two rooms than to be locked in a small cage! Just give him lots of love and attention when you're home. Make sure there's no way he can get outside. He has to know this is his new home.

I would recommend that he be an inside cat, simply because of the heavy traffic, dogs, and the occasional cruel child or adult cat hater. You can always build him a play yard attached to the house--with a flap. I think that would be ideal! Congratulations on rescuing a shelter cat!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 01:46 PM

Welcome! Congrats on saving a kitty and giving him a home! For one, definitely do not let kitty out at this time, you may never seem him again. I brought home a stray and gave in to her demands to go outside and had to spend the next 2 days walking around the neighbourhood looking for her until she came crying to our door. She was lost and very hungry. If you are feeling guilt already (you sound like me!) you may want to consider keeping him strictly indoors if you are not in a safe area. I live by a busy road and even thought there are days I really want to let my girls out, I can't live with the thought of them getting hit by a car, but it is totally your choice, just know many many cats are happy being strictly indoors.

Secondly, it is advisable that you keep you kitty in a small area as coming from a cage to a big house can be very stressful. I would say let you kitty out when he starts to show interest in exploring the rest of your house, 4 weeks is just a guideline I am guessing, I am sure you will know when you cat is ready. In my case, we adopted Sully and he is around 5 years old, he spend his first month in the closet and then gradually started exploring. We moved him to the kitchen so he could be part of the family and it's been almost 2 months and he is starting now to want to come out and explore. Sully has fear anxiety issues so I am sure your cat won't need that much time.

Thirdly, it is true cats sleep most of their day away. I stress about mine being left alone for over 12 hours a day but when I get home at night they are sleepy eyed, haven't touched their food and rarely use the litterbox so I know they slept most of the time I was gone.

Hmm..I never had litterbox issues but many have, you will find lots of advice in the behavior section.

Good luck and don't stress! your kitty will come around when he is ready!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
How about another cat to keep him company? Now would be the ideal time, when they're both new.
Definitely, if you decided down the road you want another cat you could end up in a situation where territories have been established and you first cat may not take kindly to another. Mine are all fighting and I am 6 months into trying to get them to at least tolerate each other. Others on this forum have had no problems at all. Just something for you to think about!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 05:16 PM

Well, when stanky was just a kitten I locked her up in the bathroom for a while b/c I didn't want her getting into stuff. Like someone said b4 it's better than locking her up in a small kennal.

Now, w/the little kitten I have to lock him up so Stanky doesn't beat on him too much. When I get home then I can let him out and supervise their play action. Since Stanky has the run of the house and I am unsure what she would do w/the kitten I don't see a problem w/enclosing cats in another room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page