surely this is a joke? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Premier Cat

I certainly hope it is someone's idea of a joke. Weird..
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Maybe I'm being cynical, but I think this person is being sarcastic about the extreme conformation of the show type of Persian. There is a lot of bitterness between some breeders of the show type and the doll face, as there is between the wedge head and classic Siamese.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
Maybe I'm being cynical, but I think this person is being sarcastic about the extreme conformation of the show type of Persian. There is a lot of bitterness between some breeders of the show type and the doll face, as there is between the wedge head and classic Siamese.
Why is there bitterness?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Premier Cat

One group thinks the other is either the conformation of the cat , and the other thinks the first group is old-fashioned. Often the traditional cats are not even shown, because the other group has "taken over." so to speak. Gradually, I believe, the traditional groups are holding their own shows. I'm not an expert on this, however, so perhaps someone else can offer better information.

From what I understand, some breeders send out e-mails "warning" cat lovers not to buy from breeders of the other type, often naming catteries. ( I have even heard of physical threats. ) I think this is a milder form of that type of propaganda.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
One group thinks the other is either the conformation of the cat , and the other thinks the first group is old-fashioned. Often the traditional cats are not even shown, because the other group has "taken over." so to speak. Gradually, I believe, the traditional groups are holding their own shows. I'm not an expert on this, however, so perhaps someone else can offer better information.

From what I understand, some breeders send out e-mails "warning" cat lovers not to buy from breeders of the other type, often naming catteries. ( I have even heard of physical threats. ) I think this is a milder form of that type of propaganda.
Gosh that's crazy. I have a Persian of the "extreme face" type - ie the sort of flat squashed-in face. He's very cute but I worry that his squashed nose prevents him from breathing properly. I didn't specifically want that sort of cat, I just fell in love with his adorable character.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Premier Cat

I bred Siamese, but at one time, I went to see Himalayans, and because of the respiratory problems, I did not buy one. That was many years ago. I still worry about the health of the extreme faced Persians and Himalayans, but I think this sort of "warfare" should be investigated.

Jeanie

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 06:24 PM

I think either are nice. I love the doll faces though - because they are IMHO much easier to care for. They still get gunk in their eyes, they still have nose buggers you have to pick and they have that easily mattable coat that the others do - but sometimes the squished faced babes have resperatory probs, tearing, staining and other things to think about.

Do I think a little more work would hurt? Nope. If I got an exteme faced persian I would do everything I needed because with their personalities - it's worth it.

Plus - I just like the doll faced more - but I still think the flat faces are precious wecious too. ^_^

Of course... I'm talking about the Persian/Siamese combo that I have in my Himalayans. They are definitly by babies. They are velcro cats, love to talk and love to snuggle despite their heavy, warm fur.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 09:46 PM

Can anyone post a pic of a doll faced Persian? (I think I may be feeding a stray one)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 04:46 AM

has anyone inquired about the cat??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page