thinkin about adopting 8 yr old cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

thinkin about adopting 8 yr old cat

well i recently went to the humane society and i saw this adorable 8 year old orange and white tabby. It states he is domestic and has had deworming shots and vaccines but im not sure what the pros and cons are of getting a middle aged cat ( he is going to be my first. ) I also have 3 guinea pigs i'm not sure if they'll get along but im sure i can cover up the top of the cage so he cant get to them. If this is a bad choice what would be the oldest suitable age for adoption.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Premier Cat

I love your idea of adopting an older cat.

The only con I can really see is you miss the adorable kitten stage. But you also miss the wild, running around the house, crazy kitten behavior, which may not be a bad thing!

Pros include a cat who is most likely calmed down considerably compared to a kitten. His personality will be set: you will know if you are getting a vocal cat, a lap cap, or one who is a bit more reserved. I think an older cat is an excellent choice for a first cat.

As far as getting along with your guinea pigs, I would very carefully monitor any interaction between them when they are introduced. It is certainly not unheard of for cats and animals such as rabbits and guinea pigs to get along quite well, but only time would tell how this cat would react to your guinea pigs.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

Edit by Lori for spelling
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I think it's wonderful- if you and the cat get along well. As Lori said, I would not allow the other animals out of their cages, and keep the lid on their cages.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Would it also be hard for me to train him to go in his litter box? Or easier because he might have had expeirence
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Banned

Oh, I'm sure he's had experience. You might ask the folks at the humane association if there were any litterbox issues mentioned as one of the reasons that he's there.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah he most likely knows how to use a litter box. Once they get the hang of it while being kittens, they should be good to go! Adopting an older cat is wonderful. At least you'll know his behavior right up front. Where as with a kitten, you never know what their behavior will morf into. I think you should definenlty get the 8 year old guy. Poor thing is probably used to living in a house and now he's in a cage. You should rescue him!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 11:05 PM

I think it is wonderful to adopt older cats!

We adopted Malcolm two years ago this fall. The SPCA said he was about 5, but my vet guessed he was more like 3.

With adult cats if you spend time with them you can find out what their personality is like, whereas with kittens you will never know!!

We adopted a kitten last summer, and even though I love Ophelia I have to say I never want another kitten again!! She was into everything, I didn't expect it to be so much work I guess it was just the equivalent of the terrible twos?! She is still a bit of a punk now but she is mostly good!

It breaks my heart to go to the spca and see so many people ignoring the older cats...I think they make wonderful pets. The only reason we didn't adopt a second adult was because the spca said Malcolm hated all other cats, we thought he might take better to a kitten. I think he just hated being at the spca because it was love at first sight when he met his new little sister.

I definitely think it is possible to create a peaceful coexistence with the guinea pigs and a kitty too!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 10:35 PM
Cat

orange cats are genetically diverse and therefore pretty mellow. I got ours at 9 and he is the best pet I ever had. Go for it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 11:03 PM

We adopted Scully when he was nearly 8 - older cats tend to sit at shelters forever (if they are not kill shelters).

I think its great that you are getting an older kitty (not to mention an orange & white cat - they are my favourites)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 11:15 PM
Cat

George was a few days from being put down. Makes you wonder. I'll take an orange cat of any age. I want him to teach a kitten some of his tricks, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page