post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Judge awards $45,480 in cat's death

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... fi09m.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:59 AM
Cool Cat

At least somewhere they're sending a message. Our lame laws tell people that it's OK to hurt an animal and we all wish something could be changed about it. Maybe this is a small start.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Premier Cat

"I'm sorry she lost her cat, but I had no control over it," Gray said.

Gray added that he thought the punishment was excessive considering that dogs and cats are natural enemies.

"Cats eat birds and dogs eat cats," he said.

This statement by the dog's owner really angered me. Maybe if he controlled his dog he wouldn't be having these problems. The article stated the dog wasn't living with him when the attack happened. I don't care; his dog, his responsibility!
I am very happy the judge made that ruling. As Richo said, we can only hope this is a sign of change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo
Our lame laws tell people that it's OK to hurt an animal and we all wish something could be changed about it.
Well, I agree with that, but this is not the right way to go about it. This troubles me. Current tort law practice is destroying our health care system. Awards for pain and suffering and other non-economic awards are through the roof. Money cannot replace a loss.

I would prefer to see better enforcement of and stronger animal control laws, with civil and criminal penalties for violation of same. So that people would be motivated to observe those laws. Not by tying up the courts with civil lawsuits. Such things are tying up our country in knots and have gotten way out of hand.

The problem here is that the lady who lost the cat felt the only way to get justice was through a lawsuit. It shouldn't have to be that way.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 01:37 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
The problem here is that the lady who lost the cat
felt the only way to get justice was through a lawsuit.
It shouldn't have to be that way.
Interesting perspective. Id havent
looked at it that way.

Im glad for any movement in the right
direction toward discouraging crewl actions to
animals. It is a start. Even if it is not perfect we
can then fine tune it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 08:45 AM

While it is great that courts are recognizing the value of pet's lives (I think that is really important), I think this lawsuit is wrong...just another lawsuit for money. The dog should not have been let to roam free by any means. That woman should'nt have been letting her cat roam free either. I want my cats safe, so I keep them inside. I can't trust my dog offleash to come back to me, so I keep him on a leash. Some people need to learn more responsibility, IMO.

I agree that at least this is a start in valuing pet's lives - now we have to trust that it will be fine-tuned. People are not punished enough for being irresponsible pet owners....but frivilous lawsuits are another thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page