Winnie still poops on floor - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Winnie still poops on floor

Winnie is in danger of losing her home. She'll pee in the litter box but will get out to poop on the floor. She's lost some teeth so she won't chew her food. If she gets canned food that's in sliced or shredded chunks, she'll swallow them hole and then vomit on the carpet later.

The topic has come up whether she needs to be put to sleep from age. If she's in pain or becomes incontinent then I'll have her put to sleep. But my folks now want her put to sleep because she's a hassle.

Winnie used to relieve herself outside, but early this year there was a lot of rain and she started getting desperate. So I gave her a litter box for emergencies and she hasn't been outside yet.

I tried moving the litter box outside but she just squats on the floor where the litter box used to be and makes a puddle. Fortunately its in the tile sunroom and

What she needs is some more training, but her hearing is completely gone. I've tried multiple litter boxes and Natures' Miracle. It would be nice if I could get her to use the back yard again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Banned

Multiple litter boxes didn't work, either? How about different kinds of litter in multiple boxes?

A tough one....
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Cat Addict

What about Cat Attract cat litter? I had some success with that when training kittens to use the litter box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 01:48 AM
Cool Cat

If she's used to going outside she probably likes to bury her doings in dirt or sand. She may have an aversion to litter with any scent whatsoever so try to find her a litter that completely scent free. You could try a box with plain old sand but the odor may be a problem if she urinates in that.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Banned

Just wondering if she poops in the same places every time.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Wherever the spot is that she chooses to defecate, you'll have to use a cleaner with enzymes, because she'll continue to go to that spot. Be generous with the cleaner. A cat's sense of smell is so much better than ours.

If she can't handle chunks of food, there are lots of pureed cat foods available. Good luck.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

I've tried using Nature's Miracle on the entire floor after scrubbing it with pine-sol but that didn't work.

She poops in three or four places in about a 5' by 5' area near the litterbox. I've seen her urinate in the box, then walk two feet away and squat on the floor.

She doesn't attempt to bury anything.

I've heard of using aluminum foil, but that's an awfully large area to cover.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Banned

I think I'd try to cover that area with something. To cover the spots she's pooped in. To change the surface texture of that area. And to deter her from wanting to be in that area. Foil, upside-down carpet runner come to mind. Maybe even just cardboard. Be creative!! Leave a path to the litter box.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Cardboard, hmmm. I bet I can put a wall of cardboard to block off that area. She's too old to jump and has to climb anything over a foot high, so a low wall should be all that's required.

The affected area is surrounded by two walls and a line of cardboard boxes so it can be isolated by a 5' barrier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page