my kitten bit me .... what should i do ??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

my kitten bit me .... what should i do ???

my 3 months old kitten is a little sick and was vomitting for the past few days .....i hav consulted a vet and he has given it antibiotics and now it is recovering very well ..... the vomits have finished but it just the weakness which is making it lazy .....
today i was giving it food with my hand when suddenly by mistake it bit my finger ..... thre was little bleeding and i pressed and pushed out all the blood i cud ... i then washed it with water and soap......
do i hav to do anything else as a precaution and does the illness of the kitten will affect me through that bite ??....is it serious .....it also bit me before this when i was giving it a bath but at tht time she was not ill...
plz tell me....thanks.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 06:45 AM

If the vet has given your cats antibiotics, it's possible that your cats illness wasn't really serious. Do you know what it was she was suffering from? If there is any doubt in your mind you should consult the same vet that treated your cat to ask...but from what I know, it shouldn't be a problem.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Banned

Just clean it and put some topical antibiotic on it like any other cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:07 AM

Which country are you in?

Where did you get your kitten from?
A petshop?
A breeder?
A friend?
Was it a stray kitten that you adopted?

Has your kitten been vaccinated yet?

Kittens have razor-sharp teeth (as you have discovered!)

Be careful!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Other jurisdictions have what are known as three strike laws where a pet biting three times may be considered dangerous and may even be put to sleep.
I think you may be going a tad to far there! I know the law that you mean and surely we're talking about potentialy dangerous animals such as rottweiler's that can cause servere damage when biting? We're talking about a 3 month old kitten here who has NIPPED her owner whilst eating. I really don't feel there is any need to worry a new member over something like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

You should be fine regarding the bite. It'll heal. Don't worry about it...I'm sure the little sickness your kitten had didn't get to ya. Their teeth are sharp, aren't they!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRagdoll
A word of caution. Every jurisdiction has different laws regarding animal bites.
Amen. Same here. If there's no proof of rabies vaccination, then not only does the animal have to be quarantined, but the person bitten needs to have rabies shots.

Unless it's a serious bite, and you have a legitimate concern about rabies, I wouldn't bother reporting it. You may be in for more hassle than is warranted.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 03:38 PM

It sounds to me as if this kitten is biting out of fear reactions.
It does not mean it is a mean cat!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 03:49 PM

1. Please do NOT feed your kitten with your hands again. You will get bitten again - she can't really differentiate between the texture of your finger and the food. Put food in her dinner bowl or on the floor.

2. Watch your finger very carefully for a few days. No, your kitten's "illness" will not usually transmit to you, but you may be susceptible to something else called "cat scratch fever", so do a search for the symptoms (I can't recall offhand). If it was a slight bite, there shouldn't be a problem.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRagdoll
it is some of our cities which are using arbitrary rules and not using any common sense.
Right on. But is there such a thing as government with common sense? Might be elected by the "common" people to "sense" the will of the people, but in the process loses both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page