do you think cats remember? (LONG) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

do you think cats remember? (LONG)

This isn't really a rant, or a question... more like just some ramblings.

The first time I posted here, it was about the fact that I have to give away my cats this summer. My boyfriend and I are moving in with my grandparents and my mom on the other side of the country so we can go to school, and my grandparents politely asked that I not bring my cats (it is their house, my mom lives with them to help them out). My grandfather had polio, and usually needs a wheelchair. He likes to walk around the house when he can though, and my grandmother was worried that the cats would get underfoot and he would trip and injure himself.

So my inlaws agreed to take the cats. They have a year-old Chow who acts like he's 15, a cranky old Persian dame, and a 6-month old male cat. My cats are two years old.

I'm worried about a lot of things. I'm not worried about the dog, cause all he does is sleep all day, but I'm worried that the Persian will stress my cats out. She's old, so she can't physically hurt them, but I don't want her bullying them or bossing them around like she does the other cat. I know that cats naturally have a hierarchy, but I'm protective of my babies too.

I'm worried about the kitten, Quincy. My cats are extremely loving and laid back and well behaved. Quincy is a little nippy and a little skittish, and I don't want him teaching them bad habits.

I'm worried about my inlaws attitude. They're great people, both the chow and Quincy are shelter rescues, and they treat their animals very well... but I don't know... it's hard to explain, but I treat my cats like people. I treat them like they have feelings and desires and emotions, and I feel like their personalities have really blossomed. The inlaws treat their cats like... cats. I can't help feeling that my babies will sense it, and I don't want them being condescended to. I know that sounds SO weird, but I can't really explain it any better.

And darn it, I'm gonna miss the little beasts. Sometimes I'm cuddling one of them and they smell so good and kitten-y (they will always be kittens) and I start crying cause I can't imagine someone else raising them, someone else being there while they do cute things and someone else getting rough little kisses. I know that's the choice I make by getting my BS, but it's really tough sometimes. I know that it's the right thing, that getting my degree will be good for my future, but it also kind of sucks.

But it is only temporary. As awful as it sounds, my grandparents aren't going to be around forever, probably not even as long as it will take me to get my BS. Don't get me wrong, I don't want that at all, I am very close to my grandparents. But it's a fact that at that point, I am flying out to collect my cats. Do you think they'll remember me? I think I'll just break down if I come back and they treat me like a total stranger, or if they're totally different cats.

*sigh*

Sorry about the long rant. I know some people are going to think it's my fault, and it is. I probably shouldn't have gotten the cats, but when I did I didn't plan on going to school. And they are going to a good home... and I'll see them again. It's just... tough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 06:28 PM

Have you asked your grandparents whether you could keep your cats if they stayed in a specific area of the house? I would assume if your grandfather can't moved around very well that he doesn't go around the entire house. Is that possible?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Banned

I don't know if cats so much "remember" as "learn". For example, if a cat is in the care of cruel and abusive people, they learn to be afraid of people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Oh, don't worry, we've beaten that into the ground. In short, not really. My grandparents only live downstairs, but blocking off the stairwell would involve quite a bit of restructuring, since it's all open railings and things. And shutting them in one room really isn't fair to them. Thanks for the idea though!

I'm resigned to leaving them at my inlaws for an indefinite amount of time. All my non-animal friends don't get why I'm sad, since they're not going to a shelter and I am getting them back... I guess I was just venting.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 07:31 PM

Horseplaypen...
I would just make sure to talk alot with your in-laws about
cat introductions. So that things will go smoothly for your cats and their
cats as well.
Will you be able to visit your cats during your schooling time?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Probably... I'm sure my inlaws will want us to come over for Christmas, so that's a good point. Thanks. I'll definitely be looking forward to that all year.

And that reminds me, I do have to do some research on introductions, I know nothing about it. I forgot to mention it, but my bf and I will actually be staying at the inlaws for the month of July, before we head out west. So I think that will actually be easier for the cats, you know, so we're there while they adjust, rather than just dropping them off and leaving.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplaypen
And that reminds me, I do have to do some research on introductions, I know nothing about it. I forgot to mention it, but my bf and I will actually be staying at the inlaws for the month of July, before we head out west. So I think that will actually be easier for the cats, you know, so we're there while they adjust, rather than just dropping them off and leaving.
That is FANTASTIC! See focus on the postives! The fact that you are going to be there for a month is just...well....SUPER!
There is a TON of reading on cat to cat introduction here on the forum.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 12:44 PM

ive had my 6 year old cat fluff since she was 3 months old, and sadly have to give her away.

i will be doing a lorry test soon, and when passed means only home a few days every 2 or 3 weeks.

its gonna break my heart.

trouble is i cant find someone who will look after her. friends or family.

anyone any ideas ?????????????????
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 02:38 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
If I were you, I'd start a new thread with your specific problem. Members have been answering horseplaypern's question. It's a bit too confusing to have two different questions in one thread.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 04:28 PM

yeah when i pass the test i will jeanie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page