3 week old babies!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
3 week old babies!!!

We just had the cutest baby kittens dropped off at work tonight. Someone was caring for both of them, and mom until mom disappeared two days ago. The man doesn't have the time to take care of them by hand, so he signed them to us. Problem is, the doctor didn't want to take them in (though I'm still not sure why!!) so I volunteered to raise them until their old enough to be adopted. They already have a home though... we had someone who wanted two sisters back when we had the six kittens, so we gave him a ring and he jumped on the offer!!

So now I have two tiny 3 week olds to care for...

question time!!

How much can I expect them to eat? I have a 10ml syringe to feed them with, and at dinner time they both ate a full one and then some. About an hour and a half later, they ate another 3-4mls or so. It just seems like an awful lot of food for such a tiny tummy!

Also, I've been doing the whole wiping the bottoms to make them potty, and so far have only gotten urine. Do they poo on their own eventually or will I have to make them do that as well? Is there anything differently I can do?

I've got a nice big carrier with some potty pads, as I don't think they'll be keen on a litter box yet. I'll be feeding them every few hours or so and keeping the water bottle nice and warm. Any other tips?

So far, the dog is interested, but being friendly. Addison was sniffing quite a lot, but keeping his distance. I think he's jealous. I had them sitting in front of my on the computer desk and he put his front two feet up so he could get a look, then when my mom picked him up to let him look closer, he hissed. Other than that he's been up close just fine.

Just remember, he's technically a female (for those who remember) so I was hoping some maternal instincts would kick in, but no such luck so far.

Any advice I should know? (oh, pictures are coming shortly, for some reason my camera is ONLY taking blurry shots tonight )

edit to add:

Also, one has some very gunky eyes. I've got drops to put in twice a day and will wipe away the gunk whenever I have a chance, just wonder what might work best. So far a paper towel and warm water, but I think thinking cotton balls? Honestly, its very thick and greenish and doesn't come off too easily. I really should have asked more questions... I'll call tomorrow or stop by (off all day) to figure out more of this stuff.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I would gently rub their abdomens with a bit of oil to help peristalsis. Within the week, I think they'll be able to manage with no help. Here's a link that should help:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=912

Good luck.

edit/sp

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

mass confusion!

With the wealth of information available on the internet, I was sure I'd find what I needed to know. And I did, except everyone has an opinion!

One site says to feed a 3 week old kitten 3-4 meals a day, one says 9!! I found a general agreement of around 70-90mls a day. I can't imagine them eating 20 per sitting though!

A lot of sites said by three weeks, they should be able to potty on their own. I've only had them pee with stimulation, and neither has had a bowel movement since we got them around 4pm.

And lastly, out of 46 pictures not a single decent one!! I think its the lighting... I'll take more tomorrow in the sunlight.

Jessie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:35 PM

Well far as feeding goes 20ml's into 4or 5x's day ,if they still want more give them more. Potty time goes warm washcloth or warm tap water will do.Them pooping ya you still need to help them on that part too.Nice warm bottle for them to lay on or a lamp with low watt will do in one spot,this way the can crawl away if they want to.
It's ok for Addison to see them up close while you hold them.Far as the eyes goes ya can use cotton balls or again a warm wash cloth would work,but I cant say he/she might be sick but it be something the kitten is doing.But good luck and ya lets see some pic's.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 03:10 AM

I am feeding my current 3 week olds every 4 hours through the day, leaving 7 hours through the night. They are drinking out of a tiny bottle with teat (I find they take it easier this way) and are drinking around 15-20ml per feed, though this varies. I let them drink until they come off the teat themselves. I stimulate them to go to the toilet after every feed, and they wee loads every time (and are starting to wee themselves) but they tend to poo every 3 feeds or so. I am keeping a heat pad under vet bed for them, and covering them over between feeds, which they seem to prefer.

Good luck!!!!! I wonder where mum is, do you think the owner will ring up if she turns up?

Ems
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

The one thing I didn't think of is that I'm not feeding them straight milk replacer, I've got about half and half of it mixed with a/d canned food. I wonder if that's why they aren't eating as much? there's more substance to it?

Anyway - they each pooed overnight, as they were covered in it this morning and the calico girl went a little for me when I got up this morning, so far after that its still been just peeing.

They also got a nice bath this afternoon to get the reeking odor off... don't worry it was straight from the water to a warm towel to the blow dryer on a low but warm setting. They're nestled up on the heating pad now

I've got a few pics from this morning and will take a few more in a minute, they'll be in Meet my kitty within the hour!

Jessie

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 05:13 PM

My 3 week olds are really smelly too at the moment - I'm having to rinse them down twice a day - poo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page