Unbelievable, or normal?? (Rant) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Unbelievable, or normal?? (Rant)

I heard something that is very upsetting to me. A relative has to put their cat to sleep and called the vet to make the appointmet. They quoted her a price of $70.00, without return of the ashes. This price includes the injection, cremation and a quick exam beforehand. However, the vet's office called her back the next day to say that they misquoted the price. It would actually be $135.00 because she wants to stay in the room until the end!!!

Is it normal for these places to charge an additional $65.00 just because the person wants to stay?? I am just so aggravated and upset over this. Maybe I just don't understand the whole process, but when my mother-in-law had to put her dog down, they certainly did not charge her extra to stay with him.

Sorry, just had to rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Cat Addict

I would consider that unreasonable and find a different vet.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 10:58 AM

What's the deal with vets? You'd think that someone entering into that proffesion would do so because of their love for animals, not to make a quick buck. There is a homeless man near where I work who has a dog that wears a human shirt, he is so cute! The other day he was without his dog and so I asked him where he was and he'd taken the dog in to a vets cause it had hurt it's foot, and when he went to collect it they said he couldn't have it back until he paid £7.50!!! It's quite obvious this guy is homeless and coudn't afford it. The dog's really ill now and about to die, it breaks my heart. I would absolultly find another vets, and make sure you tell that other vet exactly what you think of him and his 'caring' ways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
We actually do charge for euthanasias. If its a client we see on a regular basis we don't charge at all... but if its someone who hasn't been to us in years of has never seen a vet except to have their animal put down, we'll charge an exam fee I believe.

The only thing most people pay for is the cremation with return of ashes... maybe without return too, I'm not completely sure.

I think its disgusting to charge extra to be in the room. Its comforting to so many pets to have loved ones with them to the end, and provides a great sense of closure to many people. I'd highly suggest not going back to that vet just for morals alone!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Cool Cat

I agree. An extra charge to remain with your pet during euthanasia is just not right, unless there's something strange going on that we're just not understanding here. I'd find another vet, unless this is the vet that's treated the cat his whole life...and even then, I'd be really asking why the surcharge and why exactly are they discouraging pet owners attending their pets' euthanasias? Is there a difference in how they're going to do it if the owner is there? Or is it that the vet doesn't do well at dealing with client grief and wants to minimize his contact with it?

When I hit that stray cat just after Christmas, the vet I took him to didn't charge me for the euthanasia, even though I offered to pay for it. I mean, yes, vets charge for euthanasia and remains disposal, I would expect my vet to charge me when and if I need to let Assumpta go, and I would expect an extra charge if she did it as a house call (which is what I'd ideally want), but if she told me it would cost extra just if I wanted to be in the room, I'd go ballistic, I really would.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Banned

It makes you wondering whether their euthanization procedure is different if someone is present to witness it. Maybe the price is higher because it costs them more? I'm not even going to suggest why....leave it to your own speculation.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 12:33 PM

Our euthanasia procedure is exactly the same whether the owner is there or not. We charge for the euthanasia & cremation, but usually not a consultation fee. The price of cremation varies with whether you want ashes back or not. I sdon't understand how it would cost more for the client to stay with their pet - find another vet!
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'm shocked and disappointed. This is not a long, complicated procedure; it's an injection. The vet is taking advantage of your relative's grief. So disheartening.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all. I am so glad that I am not the crazy one here. I am so upset with this whole thing (mainly because this is the vet I take my animals too also). I called another place for my relative and they charge a flat $90.00 fee which includes euthanasia, cremation (no return of ashes) and the sedative they give ahead of time. No extra charge to stay in the room. Now that is much more reasonable. It wasn't even the price, it was the fact that she has to pay to stay with the kitty she has loved for so long!!

And Tim, believe me, my mind is going in a hundred different directions with this one. I can only imagine what the reasons are wanting to discourage family from being there, and none of those thoughts are pleasant at all!!

My relative has decided to go to an alternate facility for the procedure and I have already made numerous phone calls to look for a new vet for my girls. I never want to go through this myself.

Chris
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Cat Addict

Are you going to write a letter to your old vet to explain why you're going elsewhere? It might be a good learning experience for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page