Have you ever adopted an older cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Have you ever adopted an older cat?

As some of you know, I just put my cat to sleep last night

I am already thinking of getting another one, but not immediately.

I looked at this website, and saw alot of older cats that need a home. I'm considering maybe getting an older cat only because they are less easily adopted.

If you look at this link, look at the cat named Harlem. I like her

What do you think about adopting an older cat? Does it work out just as well. They need a home too right??

Here is the link to the shelter... click on the side menu button, and the 3rd cat down is Harlem. I like her, and she was found under a car

http://www.secondchancepetadoption.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 02:11 AM

once again, I am so sorry about jazzy

Harlem looks beautiful

here is a similar thread

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=19178

I think adopting older cats is wonderful. i will quote myself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyKitties
I think it is wonderful to adopt older cats!

We adopted Malcolm two years ago this fall. The SPCA said he was about 5, but my vet guessed he was more like 3.

With adult cats if you spend time with them you can find out what their personality is like, whereas with kittens you will never know!!

It breaks my heart to go to the spca and see so many people ignoring the older cats...I think they make wonderful pets. The only reason we didn't adopt a second adult was because the spca said Malcolm hated all other cats, we thought he might take better to a kitten. I think he just hated being at the spca because it was love at first sight when he met his new little sister.
Adopting Malcolm was the best thing I have done. He is so sweet and loving....he is huge tom, and I wasn't too sure about getting such a big cat. He is 16lbs of hugeness, big huge feet!! And big claws, very thick, but he is is a sweetie and never uses them except on his scratching posts. He kept grabbing me through the bars with his big paws and rubbing on me and I just couldn't leave him behind
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 02:42 AM
Premier Cat

I adopted Mz Tess when she was a year and half.
She had been in foster care since she was a kitten.
She got along with my tuxedo kitty just fine. I lucked
out when I adopted her. I adopted a grown cat cuz
I knew kittens had an easier chance of finding homes.

Harlem is a beauty! I say go for it!
I bet Jazz would approve.

Picture of Harlem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 03:12 AM
Cool Cat

I'm sorry about your loss, as well.

I personally adore older cats, and have never been a "kitten person." In fact, I think middle-aged and senior cats are about my favorite in the shelter population (as well as the sick and psycho cats). I like their calmness, that their personalities are formed, and I think they make better companions, especially for a quiet adult home like ours. Assumpta was 2-3 years old when she acquired us, and I think that would be the youngest age cat that I would ever adopt in the future.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 03:25 AM

An older cat is great

Sorry for your loss, but happy you have room for someone that needs your companionship I adopted a seven yr old angora and he's great. I also have a tuxedo and a tabby all older when I got them. I think they are just grateful to have a home. In fact I feel like I'm the lucky one I come home to a wonderful greeting committee. Go for it
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 04:59 AM

I think people who adopt older cats are wonderful. I brought Bumper home when he was 5, and before him, rehomed 4 year old Finn. Especially at this time of year, homes for adults are desperately needed, as everyone is looking for kittens (and there's plenty of them about).

Harlem is beautiful, I also love Gretchen. Good luck, don't rush into anything, take your time, and you'll know what's right.

Ems
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Banned

Go for it!!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everybody, you are all so kind on here.

I won't rush into anything at all. I found a P.A.W.S place in a few towns over. I think I'm going to go visit there this weekend. I doubt I will bring home a cat. I will probably wait a few months before I get another one.

However, the shelter said it really needed volunteers just for a few hours on the weekends. I'm thinking maybe I will do something like that. That way I can give my love to the little kitties and cats, but I don't have to make a commitment just yet.

Thanks for all your thoughts. I really miss Jazzy... but I guess the one thing that helps with all of this, is knowing how sick she was the night I put her down. She was really sick. Her ears were so very yellow, and so were her eyes and her mouth. It seemed the last week she just progressed in her disease

Her being sick is harder to accept than her dying I think. Looking back, I almost wish I didn't have the feeding tube inserted, etc... but I didn't know. I think that whole tube thing was just too stressful for her. If it were to happen again, I would probably opt not for the surgery, and just bring the cat home and let them die gracefully until it was time. It's funny how you learn huh, through experience.

Thanks for your thoughts. I can't wait to get another cat. I never knew I had so much love to give to an animal, and I guess Jazzy taught me that Bless my little Jazzo.

Annie
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:14 AM

My babies were all adults when I took them in, 2, 5 and 5 years of age. I am not sure that I would every adopt a kitten, I too am addicted to the older cats at my shelter, they have so much personality! And all are unique.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 01:52 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
It's a wonderful idea to adopt an adult cat! And volunteering at a shelter would be such a kind thing to do.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page