microchip? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

microchip?

what is the purpose of microchip inserted in cats? my little boy is getting neutered next month at 5 months and i'm thinking of getting this done at the same time, and also how much does it normally cost?, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Cool Cat

I was told that if your cat ever gets lost, if someone finds him and brings it to a shelter or vet, they can scan the microchip which has a specific number on it, and that number can be used to find your information in a database, which can then be used to find you and reunite you with your cat.

I don't know how much it costs, because ours was included in the adoption fees.

Out of curiosity though, exactly what information is in the database? I assume name, home, and contact info? Is there any way to change the information, for instance, if the cat changed ownership or if the owners moved?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

i think i will get it, thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:52 PM

Each chip has a unique bar code number. All the chip numbers are registered with a database, who can then supply the owner and animals details. Name, address, contact numbers, breed, colour, veterinary information can all be included on the database. We charge £20 for a chip & registration. We chip most cats we neuter nowadays.

You should get an official microchip certificate once registration is complete (in the UK, the vets normally register chip) with details on how to change address/numbers, etc, for a small charge.

All vets, shelters, rescue organisations, police stations, etc should have a microchip scanner. The chip is inserted between the cat/dog's shoulderblades.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Banned

There are different kinds of microchips and microchip scanners. I'd suggest you find out what kind animal control agencies and humane associations use in your area, so you are sure to get a chip that's compatible with what can be scanned by whoever might pick up your lost cat.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 01:24 AM

Microchips are a great way to make sure your cat can find its way home if it ever gets lost! My two girls were chipped as a part of their adoption and I once found a cat wandering on a busy road, he quickly was returned to his home thanks to his microchip!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:38 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
We use Home Again microchips where I work. They're easily inserted (especially after surgery when the pet is still asleep) and last a lifetime.

I just know how ours works, so will answer you based on that. We charge $50 to install the microchip and Home Again charges a one time fee of $17.50 to register the information. You'll give them your name, phone number, address, vet's contact info and emergency contact info. You can change the information at any time (if you move, change vets, etc) at no additional cost. Its a lifetime membership.

So lets say (knock wood) your cat gets out. he's brought into a shelter where they scan and see that there's a microchip. They call and give the chip number (that shows up on the scanner) and will be given your contact information (or the chip company contacts you, not sure which way it goes) and your baby is returned safe and sound

The only bad thing about microchips is they aren't SEEN. So if your cat is outside and has no collar, nobody really knows if its a pet or stray. They may take it to a shelter or put up posters, or they may just assume its a stray and keep it. Some people don't like collars, but they're the easiest way to prove your kitty belongs to you

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:36 PM

It's mandatory for alot of shelters who adopt out their pets.

Sampson, who I just adopted Sunday , is microchipped. I didn't have a choice on the chip, but I did have a choice of whether to have him registered or not, and I said yes. I didn't really understand the registration part, but logic told me if he had a chip, what good would it be if I wasn't registered.

So he is microchipped and registered. I am wondering when they will start doing this to children. Seriously, they should!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzo
I am wondering when they will start doing this to children. Seriously, they should!!
There is, seriously, a microchip for humans. I think it's still experimental, and I don't know what information is going to be stored on it. But it definitely exists.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:50 PM

Hey tims... really?? I know it sounds creepy, but just think, how many kidnappings this would alleviate? If a kidnapper knows kids are microchipped, maybe they will stop. However, who knows, they will probably find a way to by-pass it, but I think it's a good idea. I know it sounds creepy and all, but if it means knowing where a kidnapped child is, it's worth it. At 16yo or something, it can be removed.

We have started measures to protect our cats, now our kids

btw... I feel like I'm itching a bit more with this cat than Jazzy, is that normal??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page