Outdoor Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Outdoor Cat

My kitten (Sydney) is just over 2 months old. I have never had a cat before so, I have no idea when is a right time to have it start going outside on it's own. I don't want it to get lost. All I've had were dogs so, I'm glad to have a cute, little kitten now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

Some would say never is the best time.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
What a precious kitty you have

Honestly, I would consider keeping her inside. Check out this article:

Indoors or Outdoors?

And if you do decide to let your kitty out, you should wait until s/he is spayed/neutered and has all vaccinations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 06:17 PM

I have to say never. My aunt never lets her cats outside and she has one that is 19 and another that is turing 17 soon. My boyfriends family lets their cats out and they have never had one live past 5 years. It is just a risk I am not willing to take.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey
What a precious kitty you have :luv

Indoors or Outdoors?

And if you do decide to let your kitty out, you should wait until s/he is spayed/neutered and has all vaccinations.
Wow, that was a long article but, it still didn't change my mind. There are lots of people in my neighbourhood with outdoor cats. They never seem to have any problems. I have a safety collar too. Also, my Mom said she wants Sydney to be an outdoor cat so, I really can't stop this. Anyway, my street is very non-busy. I think one car comes by ever hour. I also live near green houses so, there's lots of fields and space right in my back yard. The only threatening animal I can think of would be a racoon but, those only come out at night so, I wouldn't let Sydney out at night.

So, can anyone actually tell me the right time.. ?
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ookami
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey
What a precious kitty you have

Indoors or Outdoors?

Wow, that was a long article but, it still didn't change my mind. There are lots of people in my neighbourhood with outdoor cats. They never seem to have any problems. I have a safety collar too. Also, my Mom said she wants Sydney to be an outdoor cat so, I really can't stop this. Anyway, my street is very non-busy. I think one car comes by ever hour. I also live near green houses so, there's lots of fields and space right in my back yard. The only threatening animal I can think of would be a racoon but, those only come out at night so, I wouldn't let Sydney out at night.
My boyfriend does not live on a busy road either. The only cars that drive down it are people his family or people coming to visit them.

Just be prepared for the possiblity that your cat's life maybe cut short.

Good luck.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'm sorry, Ookami. I don't think there is a right time. I lost a very precious 15 year old cat to a car on a "not busy" road. Some people will go out of their way to kill a cat. It was a very hard lesson to learn. I had been lucky, but it took only one car, one time.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:20 PM

I'm another advocate of indoor only, but to answer your question.
I'm not sure if there is an age that people let their cats start to go outside, the only thing I would say for sure is to not even think about doing it until your cat has been spayed or neutered. Also not until all shots have been given, but definately NOT until it's been fixed!

Jennifer
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 10:25 PM

What about one of those nice outdoor cat enclosures?

Alot of folks have them, and would be able to give some more information, but it would allow her to get out and get some fresh air and run around in a pretty safe enviroment.

I am really against just allowing a pet to roam around. From a traffic standpoint, there many not be many cars, but it only takes one. On top of maybe causing an accident when someone would swerve when something runs infront of the car.

The outdoor enclosures may work well for you.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM
What about one of those nice outdoor cat enclosures?

Alot of folks have them, and would be able to give some more information, but it would allow her to get out and get some fresh air and run around in a pretty safe enviroment.

I am really against just allowing a pet to roam around. From a traffic standpoint, there many not be many cars, but it only takes one. On top of maybe causing an accident when someone would swerve when something runs infront of the car.

The outdoor enclosures may work well for you.
I think that's really cool but, would it be expensive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page