kitty keeps us up - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

kitty keeps us up

okay, i posted in the meet my cat about our new little kitten. he's a great kitten, but we have one small concern. if we keep our bedroom door open at night, he will jump around on our bed literally all night, keeping us from getting much sleep.

however, if we close the door, he will sit outside of the door and meow and meow and meow, for upwards of 40 minutes. it makes me sad to hear him meow like that...is this something we should be concerned about? he's about 7-8 weeks old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 04:39 AM

It is absolutley nothing to be concerned about! He is just learning how to wrap you round his little paw! Probably the only way to deal with this problem is to keep your bedroom door shut and ignore his crys, as hard as it is! If you keep giving into him he will learn that if he keeps crying he will get what he wants in the end. After a few days, a week perhaps, he will learn that this won't work and you should be able to enjoy a good nights sleep!! Another solution may be to try and tire him out before bedtime with some energetic playtime.

When he gets a little older, he will more than likely calm down and will come to realise that your bedroom is for sleep,not for play! It sounds like you have a perfectly normal little kitty!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Senior Cat

Sounds like my Cleveland when he was a kitten. I couldn't stand the little cries at my door so would let him in only to get a severe pouncing and toe nipping but now he's a big snugglepuss at night. I used to give him a very energetic play session then a feed before bed and that helped to settle him down.
My mum laughs at me and says I sound like a mother. I remember saying I would never cope with another kitten again, I'd get a grown up cat but strangely those feelings are fading away

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty
Sounds like my Cleveland when he was a kitten. I couldn't stand the little cries at my door so would let him in only to get a severe pouncing and toe nipping but now he's a big snugglepuss at night. I used to give him a very energetic play session then a feed before bed and that helped to settle him down.
My mum laughs at me and says I sound like a mother. I remember saying I would never cope with another kitten again, I'd get a grown up cat but strangely those feelings are fading away
great, hopefully this little orange ball will settle down as she matures and be a friendly nighttime cat. yeah, the toe-nipping and pouncing is exactly what goes on at the moment. it seemed like last night he cried for a little less, maybe only 20 minutes.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 10:04 AM

So helpfull I had the very same question! This is the first experience I'v had with typical kitten behaviors-my other two were very calm,even placid as babys
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I let my babies pounce on me. In fact, when I was breeding Siamese kittens, they were born in my room, and mother Precious would put them on the bed in the morning. I think she wanted a baby sitter. I would imagine she thought it was my turn to get pounced on and chewed! I always allow my cats and kittens sleep with me. I just make funny noises if they pounce too much, and they stop for a while!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 03:13 PM

I have a 13wk old who sleeps in my room. She pounces us sometimes at night but I have started playing with her around 8pm and keeping her going til about 10. Then she usually settles down for the night but she is up like clockwork every morning at 5:30. Its something she cant help. Weve adjusted to that. Good luck!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Cat Addict

Our kitten pounced on our feet at night, but only for the first few days. She finally figured out that we were pretty boring, and she stopped following us to bed.

I also found that it helped for me to get her all played out about a half hour before we went to bed. She's madly in love with her toy mousie, and we would play lots and lots of fetch. Worked pretty well!

Lisa
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrodeia
Our kitten pounced on our feet at night, but only for the first few days. She finally figured out that we were pretty boring, and she stopped following us to bed.

I also found that it helped for me to get her all played out about a half hour before we went to bed. She's madly in love with her toy mousie, and we would play lots and lots of fetch. Worked pretty well!

Lisa
That is what I do. My cat is a little over a year, but she is still pretty playful. About 8:30 p.m I play with her for about 30-60 mins-I go until she stops. I found that has really helped. Previous to doing this she would wake me up all night trying to play, but now she sleeps pretty well during the night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page