Help Please!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Help Please!!!

I have two cats they get along great with no problems. They have two litter boxes in the basement that they use some, other than that they or one of them keeps pooping in the same place in the basement. I have cleaned their box out every hour and left it dirty to see if any of that helps and they still do it if its clean or not. I also tried to lock them up in there room where I keep the litter box they stayed in there for about 4 days and used the box great. Within the first two hours I let them out they did it again. Well now we are moving and if they don’t stop doing this my dad is going to make me get rid of them. Any ideas would be great. Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:17 PM

Have you tried changing the litter? We used to have really good quality litter but my cat twiggy, would just poo on the floor. When we changed brands, it was made of clay rather than wood, she started using her tray. How old are they?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Yeah we did change litter to clay with no scent and it seems to still be happing. One cat is 11 and the other about 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:29 PM

How long have you had them? If you haven't had them very long could just be settling in problems...other than that NewRagdoll's advice sounds hopefull.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamlet
How long have you had them? If you haven't had them very long could just be settling in problems...other than that NewRagdoll's advice sounds hopefull.

I got them each about 10 weeks after they were born. I will try adding a 3rd box and see if that works.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:38 PM

Best of luck with it...I hope your dad doesn't make you get rid of them. Fingers and paws crossed at my end.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:07 PM

04cobratorchred,

So, you've had both cats for practically their entire lives...

Do you know which one is dumping outside the box?

Is it the older one or the younger one?

If it's the older one... there could be a medical problem...

If it's the younger one... or older one... it may be a "finally time to assert dominance" thing.

Cats use scent to mark territory and to assert dominance in that territory.

Burying their poop is essentially a submissive/social "democracy" gesture.

Something may have happened recently (think about it... you may be able to put a finger on it) that caused one cat or the other to either feel threatened, or to feel that the other cat was now less able to assert their previously dominant position... this could have led to one of them dumping outside the litter box as a way to claim or reassert previously 'owned' territory...

Note that this may be entirely separate from and seemingly unrelated to how they interact either in front of you or otherwise... we're talking about instinct here... nothing like human emotions or rationales are involved.

It's entirely possible that one or the other of your cats has sensed something to trigger such an instinct, yet have it only be manifested in dumping outside the box, and not involve any other interaction that you can observe (like them not getting along anymore).
It could have been a change in your lifestyle, or theirs, or both.

Is the outside-the-box dumping always at the same location?
If "yes", try putting a bowl of dry food at that spot... see what happens.
Cats are like the Mafia in one respect... they won't s*h*i*t where they eat!

Just on the outside chance...

Are you completely sure that there isn't some intruder cat sneaking into your basement and leaving extra-litterboxial deposits? I'm serious.

Check the windows, etc...

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Rick
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikako
04cobratorchred,

So, you've had both cats for practically their entire lives...

Do you know which one is dumping outside the box?

Is it the older one or the younger one?

If it's the older one... there could be a medical problem...

If it's the younger one... or older one... it may be a "finally time to assert dominance" thing.

Cats use scent to mark territory and to assert dominance in that territory.

Burying their poop is essentially a submissive/social "democracy" gesture.

Something may have happened recently (think about it... you may be able to put a finger on it) that caused one cat or the other to either feel threatened, or to feel that the other cat was now less able to assert their previously dominant position... this could have led to one of them dumping outside the litter box as a way to claim or reassert previously 'owned' territory...

Note that this may be entirely separate from and seemingly unrelated to how they interact either in front of you or otherwise... we're talking about instinct here... nothing like human emotions or rationales are involved.

It's entirely possible that one or the other of your cats has sensed something to trigger such an instinct, yet have it only be manifested in dumping outside the box, and not involve any other interaction that you can observe (like them not getting along anymore).
It could have been a change in your lifestyle, or theirs, or both.

Is the outside-the-box dumping always at the same location?
If "yes", try putting a bowl of dry food at that spot... see what happens.
Cats are like the Mafia in one respect... they won't s*h*i*t where they eat!

Just on the outside chance...

Are you completely sure that there isn't some intruder cat sneaking into your basement and leaving extra-litterboxial deposits? I'm serious.

Check the windows, etc...

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Rick

Thanks a lot for the help Rick. I think for the most part it’s the older cat doing it. I am sure there is not another cat coming into the house there is no window in the basement and the door is always locked. The only thing that changed was we had a Chocolate Lab and it passed away. The dog and cats were very close it seems like when the dog was getting sick they started pooping down there. And then about 3 months went by and we got another dog (chocolate lab) and now it seems like it is getting worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page