Is this mean? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Is this mean?

I have been told that this is mean. I disagree.

I got a small bird feeder for outside my balcony so that the birds will come and eat, and my cat will have something to watch. The birds are safe, my cat is strictly indoor and there is NO chance of her getting out. Before the birdfeeder, she would sit in the window and watch them fly around. Now, she sits by the balcony door and watches them eat (the birds don't seem to notice her). Sometimes she meows and I am sure that she would love to go out there and attack them, but I don't let her. She doesn't run up to the window everytime they are out there, sometimes she just looks while she is laying on the couch. In my opinion it is kitty-HBO, other people say it is teasing. I think it is good for her mental stimulation. What do you guys think??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
I see nothing wrong with it Our cats love to watch the birds outside the windows, it definately adds some mental stimulation to their day.

If you want, to help redirect some of those predatory instincts, you can follow up birdwatching by using an interactive toy like Da Bird, so your cat can simulate hunting and catching a bird without anyone getting hurt
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Banned

I think you're right. It's excellent mental stimulation and kitty entertainment; dittoes also on the interactive play follow-up, if she looks like she needs some release from her stimulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Cats will always be cats........
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Cat Addict

I think its a great idea. I have a birdfeeder outside my balcony just so the cats can watch the birds. I think its great mental stimulation for them. I leave platforms by the windows and leave the blind open for the same reason. I would feel bad if they weren't able to have the joy of watching what goes on outside.

The only thing that concerns me about birdfeeders is when they are placed in an area that has lots of cover or easy access for other cats or predetors. Many people think they are doing something nice for the birds by feeding them, when they are actually making them easy prey.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I have always fed the birds, and the cats enjoy looking out the window. I see nothing but kindness as your motivation, and I'm sure the cats enjoy watching the birds. Mine do!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 05:19 PM
Tom Cat

I don't think so

My cats are "outdoor" cats during the midafternoon if it's nice out... so only summer. They stay within the backyard, sometimes one tries to sneak out but when we catch him, he comes running back to the yard

One day, a couple years ago, there was a mother robin sitting on top of the fence. It was squaking and squaking away because there were 2 cats near her baby which was on the ground, try to fly away. Luna was sitting right beside it and when the baby tried to fly away, she would gentle put herself over it so it wouldn't fly away. And then she would just sit beside it, like she was trying to protect it??? or play?? then she finally let the baby go. My other cat, Max, would go up to it really slowly, trying to smell it, then it would flap its wings then get scared and back off.

They didn't hurt the bird and it didn't look like they had any intention to.... so I wouldn't think it's mean at all, at least with my cats anyway. Plus your cat can't get to them

Angie
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 09:48 PM

I don't think it is mean at all. I have been looking at bird feeders to put near the window where I keep my cat tree.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 11:21 PM

not mean at all! gives them something to look at AND you are feeding local wildlife!!!! I'm waiting for the day that I can have a birdfeeder for my boys!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 11:33 PM

Not mean at all.
By the way, hummingbirds are way more entertaining then songbirds if you were to ask my cats

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page