Summer's coming... How will you keep your cats cool? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Summer's coming... How will you keep your cats cool?

Summer's just a few weeks away (at least, in the Northern Hemisphere)...

What do you do to keep your cat(s) cool and safe from heat-stroke?

It gets pretty hot & humid here in the summer... often hotter inside the house than out...
and I can't really afford to leave the air-conditioner running all day.

I thought about shaving them, or at least trimming their hair really short, but their hair probably acts as insulation from the heat to an extent.

My cats are pretty good about drinking water, but I'm still looking for some ways to keep the ambient temperature down, or at least give them a cool place to escape to.

Does anybody here have a cat that likes baths, or even swimming (ala Siegfried and Roy's White Tigers at Mirage)?

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 02:23 PM

Invest in some fans. They are inexpensive enough and will keep the air moving, if nothing else. I would not shave them. That would be inviting trouble. I have window a/c's. One downstairs and one upstairs in the bedroom.... I keep the bedroom one on, on Low and power save. It cycles on and off during the day and keeps the bedroom around 75 degrees. Doesn't cost much at all. My kitties stay in the bedroom most of the day. I can tell, because the bed is full of fur when I get home. LOL
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 02:45 PM

this is the first summer that I will not have a/c so I am going to have fans running. since my boys like to play with water, I'll leave a bowl of it in the tub for them to play with (they know that if it's in the tub, they can play with it) I'm also going to try something that I used to do with my rabbits (unless I hear that it's for some reason a big no no with cats) When I used to show rabbits in 4H we would fill up empty 2 liter bottles with water and freeze them. I'd place the frozen bottle in the cage and the rabbits would sit against it to cool off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Believe me, I'm already a big fan of fans!

I didn't have AC at my old place, so I'd freeze 2-liter plastic bottles of water, and then stand them in front of a fan... poor man's AC!

Pet shops here sell 'pretty-fied' sheets of aluminum for small dogs and cats to recline on to stay cool. They also sell polished slabs of marble for the same purpose... they're just heavier and more expensive. Looks like a good idea, but if I know my cats, they'd only use something like that if it was really for some other purpose... like human food preparation.

My main problem is heat buildup in the house.

Houses are pretty tight together here in the city, so there's no cross-current of air, and the sun bakes the gray tile roof all day long, so, the house is basically a solar oven.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Banned

Well, seeing as how cats originated in Africa, I think they should do just fine in hot weather without us worrying about them!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 10:34 PM

Our animals have a posh house with AC. We had a parrot and believe it or not that was one of the reasons we got the AC installed. He was too noisy to leave the windows open and I didn't want to upset our neighbors.
Now we have just a cat and dog and a nice cool house thanks to the bird.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 11:04 PM

With two cats and three dogs in the house, a/c is mandatory, 24/7 in the summer. I don't care what the bills are, as long as the animals are nice and cool!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 03:49 AM

It very rarely gets hot enough to worry about it in the UK I do give my pets 'ice lollies' in the summer. Ice cubes made from gravy, frozen kongs filled with ice (block up one end before putting in the freezer!), even frozen blocks of water with bits of tuna and/or meat in the middle - keeps them cool AND mentally stimulated, and makes a mess at the same time!

Tigers like swimming anyway in the wild, unlike their domestic counterparts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 05:07 AM
Tom Cat

My ac is usually on bc il die without it form the heat...i usually change the water oftne in the day and my cta just lays down on tiles and anytihng cold... does it change their usual play time? bc i have notcied it seems as though he is too hot to play a lot like he usually did...

"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled through snow "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page