Going home for Memorial day weekend.. should I bring my cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Going home for Memorial day weekend.. should I bring my cat?

it's a 350 mile drive one way and i'm wondering if you folks would bring your cat back to your hometown with you or leave them at your current home alone?

ill leave on friday and return on monday..

she hates sitting in the carrier in my car ... maybe my carrier is too small
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 06:02 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I always got a neighbor to come over and give the cats some attention. I think they need the company as much as the food. I'm nervous about moving a cat.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 06:22 PM

My cats would freak at traveling that long. They'd definitely be happier at home, although I would get the silently-snubbing-you treatment when I got back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Kitten

Send a message via MSN to Wesley
I don't see a problem with it. I would definitely take my cat. Just make sure your cat has some room to move around in the carrier and make sure he/she has water for the duration of the trip.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Cool Cat

It's easier for us because there are 2 of us, so one of us can watch the boys while the other drives...but, we do take our boys on road trips. Skeeter LOVES IT! His favorite thing is to go for car rides. He's been to 3 different states already! Binx gets fussy in traffic, but as soon as we are going smooth, he settles down and sleeps on the back seat. Oh yeah...we let them out of the carrier. Mostly because Skeeter loves the car ride so much. THey are both very good travelers. Our regular trip is about 330 miles or 3 and 1/2 hours.

If you do travel with your kitty, be sure to bring anything that will keep her comfy. Bring blankets with her scent to put on the car seat and on the bed/couch of the room in which you will keep her. Bring toys, bowls, water fountain, and any other favorite things. THe most important thing is to spread her scent and yours so it SMELLS like home. Keep routine as much as possible.

I trip around town in the car should give you an idea of whether or not your cat would prefer to go with you or stay in the comfort of her own home and make a new friend (ie: the person who will come feed her!).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

last time i let Pebbles out of my carrier in the car she was walking around the gas pedal area... so i'd rather not let her out... i think i might buy her a very big carrier that can fit a nice bowl of water... but i have to figure out how to not make it spill while going 70+mph
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

great i just found out that next week i will have to go on a business trip... i will definitely have to bring my cat with me this weekend so my mom can watch her.

a big carrier with a blanky is good enough right? i dont plan to make any water or pee stops on this 5 hour drive... she can hold it i hope.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

well i took pebbles for a 5 hour ride... she cried the first 1.5 hours or so and then settled down to sleep. she was a good girl .
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
That's good to hear.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page