yay! I might get one! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

yay! I might get one!

I have a friend and her cat has just had kittens, and she is offering me one! They have just been born, and I'm still working on my parents, but I'm really hoping. I'm doing lots of research. Can you help me a bit with research on looking after them, and how to introduce a cat-agressive dog to a cat? My dog isn't really cat agressive, he just likes chasing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Spuzzi, this link covers the whole first year. I hope it helps.

http://cats.about.com/cs/kittencare/a/k ... styear.htm

Before you take a kitten, you'll have to see how the dog would react, If there's any doubt, don't put the kitten in danger. My dogs were used to cats, so I had no problem, but if your dog chases cats, it would take a lot of time and patience to train the dog. Be very sure the kitten would be safe, or don't get him.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
It is probably better that you get two kittens instead of one. If anything happens the kittens can stay with each other and look out for each other.

I like males better. Females are more territorial and always are trying to reserve some space for imaginary impending progeny

It is cheaper to get two than one. They use their nervous energy on each other instead on your furniture. They are less stressed out so they don't spray too much. If the cats somehow find a way outside the house accidentially they also tend to look out for each other. They are also happier because they get to play and exercise with each other and in a long term it saves $$$ on medical bills to have a happy and exercised cat.

I had two "free" kittens but they ended up costing more than $100 each with neutering and vaccinations. If you adopt them from the shelter the shelter will already had done those things for you. It is also easier to get two cats from the shelter instead of persuading the owner of the "free" kittens that you would take good care of both the kittens. In Petco you can get more than $150 in coupons if you show them your adoption papers. I certainly wished I had adopted a whole litter of kittens from the animal shelter!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 09:34 PM

I'm in no way an expert, but I'd see if you could find a cat to "cat test" your dog with. I have two cats and three greyhounds, and the greyhounds were all cat-tested before being offered for adoption. A dog who isn't "cat friendly" could quickly kill your cat, and you certainly don't want that. Also, a dog who is OK with cats inside can be a different story altogether outside. I've heard of many people whose cats got out, and when they let their dogs out, the dogs killed the cat. My cats are strictly INDOOR cats, and they were before the dogs ever came along.

You say your dog likes to chase cats....this type of behavior could escalate into something more.....please be careful until you evaluate your dog further!
The way they do it with the greyhounds is to muzzle the dog, then have someone hold the dog on a leash, another person hold the cat on their lap, and then they gauge the dog's reaction. Mild interest and then ignoring the cat is probably best. Some dogs cannot have their gaze broken; they are INTENT on the cat. Some just try to go after it. I have a friend with two greyhounds who would happily kill my cats; they come here and HUNT for them (they are safely locked in the bedrooms, of course). Not a pretty sight.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

thanks everyone! I probably not be getting one, but I'm showing my mum the research. My friend wants me to take two, but she says either way is good. I think they will be neutered or spayed and DEF with their shots when they are ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page