Need advice: 2nd kitty dilemma...HELP!
We have a 4 1/2 year old neutered male himalayan cat named Jimi. I've had him since he was 12 weeks old. In the past he has lived with one and then two dogs and didn't mind them too much unless they were nipping at him or chasing him (which one of them did quite often).
I moved to Sheffield, UK and brought Jimi with me. Now it's just myself, my boyfriend and Jimi in a two bedroom flat and we've been wondering if it's best to get Jimi a companion. Also, we'd love to have another cat around because we're both cat lovers and have enough love for two definitely.
I've seen Jimi interact with other cats and he seems to be fine with them. He just sniffs them and walks away, very easy going. I think it would be beneficial for Jimi to have a playmate as he seems to sleep a lot and is rather lazy. I know that's normal for cats but I think a new kitty might liven things up a bit for him. Especially if we got a younger cat.
The issue is that we're moving from the UK to Canada in about a year but don't know whether or not to wait until we move to get a new addition or get one now and just bring him along with us when we move. I would love to bring another cat home now for us and for Jimi but I want to make the right decision about this. It's a serious decision and the animal's welfare is most important. Jimi is coming with us (OF COURSE) so we'd have no problem bringing the new kitty along, too.
We really do want another kitty now, though. What are your opinions, please? Thanks in advance!