Need advice: 2nd kitty dilemma...HELP! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Need advice: 2nd kitty dilemma...HELP!

We have a 4 1/2 year old neutered male himalayan cat named Jimi. I've had him since he was 12 weeks old. In the past he has lived with one and then two dogs and didn't mind them too much unless they were nipping at him or chasing him (which one of them did quite often).

I moved to Sheffield, UK and brought Jimi with me. Now it's just myself, my boyfriend and Jimi in a two bedroom flat and we've been wondering if it's best to get Jimi a companion. Also, we'd love to have another cat around because we're both cat lovers and have enough love for two definitely.

I've seen Jimi interact with other cats and he seems to be fine with them. He just sniffs them and walks away, very easy going. I think it would be beneficial for Jimi to have a playmate as he seems to sleep a lot and is rather lazy. I know that's normal for cats but I think a new kitty might liven things up a bit for him. Especially if we got a younger cat.

The issue is that we're moving from the UK to Canada in about a year but don't know whether or not to wait until we move to get a new addition or get one now and just bring him along with us when we move. I would love to bring another cat home now for us and for Jimi but I want to make the right decision about this. It's a serious decision and the animal's welfare is most important. Jimi is coming with us (OF COURSE) so we'd have no problem bringing the new kitty along, too.

We really do want another kitty now, though. What are your opinions, please? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 04:21 PM

3ofus416 ,

For one reason, and only one reason, I'd vote to wait until after you move.

It's difficult and traumatic enough transporting one animal overseas... much more for the animal than you.

Wait 'til after all of you are settled in Canada to introduce another cat.

Rick
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'm just asking, because I'm not positive, but don't animals have to stay in isolation for a while before entering a different country? I would check on that.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

No they don't have to stay in isolation anymore but I think they had to in the past. I think they used to be required to be quarantined for 6 months in UK and not sure where else.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, Nikako. I know what you mean about it being stressful on animals.

If it makes any difference, we're flying with our cat in the cabin with us via delta airlines. He is not going in cargo alone, he'll be with us. If we had a second kitty then he could go under my boyfriend's seat and Jimi could go under mine. We're using Bach's rescue remedy which seems to be very effective in calming cats, in my past experiences.

Any more input/opinions from any and everyone is greatly appreciated!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Senior Cat

Getting second cat (Bella) was the best thing I have every done for Dusty! He loves her so much and they are so cute together. I didn't realize how bored he was without her.

I would totally recommend getting another cat, but like others have said, I would wait until you move. Putting aside the plane ride and everything else, just a change of environment is enough to really freak out a cat. The new house will be scary and different. I would wait until Jimi is used to all of that before introducing another cat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

But that could be a year away...and I'm worried about Jimi being bored now...

I love my cat and want him to be happy. It would also make us humans happy, on the selfish side. I keep thinking about how short life is and how much I want Jimi to have a little brother NOW.

Such a dilemma...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Senior Cat

I know what you mean. I partly got Bella out of my own selfish need for another kitty... Although, I publicly use the excuse that Dusty needed a friend.

Dusty was an "only kitty" for the first 4+ years of his life... I'm sure Jimi will be fine for one more year.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Aww...it's kind of pathetic but part of me wishes someone would just tell me it's fine and I should go ahead and get a new kitty now...To nevermind the moving, the cat will adjust and be alright..So far no luck!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:38 PM

Animals entering the UK have to stay in quarantine for 6 months unless they have a Pet Passport - the UK is a rabies free country. Make sure you know the quarantine requirements for Canada well in advance, and arrange a Pet Passport if he doesn't already have one, that way you can come back without worrying about quarantine.

I second waiting until after the move to adopt a new cat. I'm sure Canada has plenty unwanted cats of it's own
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page