Transporting an elderly cat - is it worth it? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Transporting an elderly cat - is it worth it?

Currently my first born cat Poppy is living with my mom. Poppy is going to be 20 this year! She is still in what I would say good health, although obviously showing signs of aging. Right now she lives with one other cat, Melvin who is 8. They were put together when Melvin was about 1, and they just put up with each other. They do not play, they do not groom eachother, and they certainly don't sleep together. Sometimes they will agree to sleep on opposite sides of the same bed.
Poppy, like I said, is starting to show signs of her age. She cannot or chooses not to groom herself like she used to, and gets these sort of dreadlocks. They can be removed with a good human brushing & using those pet wipes. However, this takes time & energy that my mom doesn't always have.
I know sometimes that Poppy is a little trying to my mothers patience as well when she doesn't make it to the litterbox in time. This doesn't happen too often, but it still does happen.

Poppy has been to the vet in the last year & all is well, but she is old.

I have expressed my interested in bringing her back with me to my house but don't know if it is in the best interest for Poppy. If she lived here she would get a lot more attention. It is just how I am, and nothing against my mother. She would probably be put on wet food (she is on a good brand of dry food now) & she would get periodic groomings.

My concern is, in order to get her here we have to get all her vaccinations up to date including rabies & a physical. This can be stressful for any cat, especially an elderly one. She would also have to ride on a plane, in a carrier. My mom said this would be no big deal (as in she would behave). But I am worried that it would be traumatic. Many places recommend NOT transporting elderly pets, let alone 20 year old cats!

And lastly, she would be in a new home with a new cat. Belfour who is approximately 15 months old would have no problem sharing his home with Poppy. He loves everyone, but I don't know if she would love him. She has never befriended Melvin, she just puts up with him. This would also be stressful to her, I would imagine.

I am just trying to weigh the pros and cons of transporting her, I don't know what would be best, but I assume leaving her be would be the best choice... Feed back?

And you are a saint if you read all of this - thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Whoops! Just sprouted wings! I wish I could help, but I wouldn't want to give you the wrong answer. That's a lot of change in a short period of time for an elderly cat. I think I'd ask the vet. I wish you lived closer, because I think Poppy would be better off and happier with you.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 09:29 AM

I would take the cat with you. It will be a change, but she'll have better care. I don't think you should assume that she's too old to make the move. At her age, she's probably happy to eat, sleep, pee and poop and maybe find a warm patch of sunlight to lie in.

Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to discuss it more with my mom and see what she thinks. Also I will discuss sharing any new medical costs that might happen in her old age if she were to live with me as well as getting her to the vet BEFORE I arrive so that we can see what they say. I think I have 15 days from Vet visit until the letter "expires" in the mind of Immigration.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 08:53 PM

I have a couple of questions:

1. What kind of vacs would he be getting?

2. On the plane, will he be on your lap in a carrier or in the cargo hold?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Definatly the rabies one since its required to get into Canada. Otherwise I have to see what is due, I have been out of the loop for awhile concerning Poppy's health care. And if she rides with me it will be under my seat in a carrier... I couldn't put her underneath it would be too stressful.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 11:03 PM

sounds like you answered the question yourself! take your baby with you!!! when she goes to the vet, inquire about the plane ride, maybe something can be prescribed to help make her sleepy for the ride? good luck! I'm about to have my 16 year old make a 1000 mile car ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page