How many cats are too many? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

How many cats are too many?

I'd like to think I have plenty of room for my cats. I live in a 4 bedroom two story house. However, I recently adopted two shelter cats and now I have 4 cats. I also have two dogs, but they are out in the daytime. When I adopted the shelter cats my husband made a comment about what people might think when they find out we have 4 cats. I did not think too much of it, but I dont want to be a "horder" by any means. I provide good nutrition and quality vet care for all of my pets, and I work from home, so the animals are supervised. Then recently I was at the gym and I mentioned to a lady next to me how many cats I have and she was shocked and said something about the smell. I assured her that I clean my litter boxes daily and my house does not smell. Why are people so suprised with multiple cats and assume the worst?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 11:05 PM

I think that most people have a stereotypical view of what people are like that have multicat families. They see TV Shows of Cat Horders with dirty houses, sick cats and filth. It is really too bad, most cats are happiest with other felines around and I can not tell you how many people I know with only one cat because they think thier house will stink if they adopt more. Do not worry about what other people think, take a minute to try to educate them and then just give up. If you have healthy and happy feline kids, who cares what others think, they are the one's missing out!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 11:07 PM

I think it is fine as long as they are carried for and the environment is clean and not cramped. I have 4 cats, a dog and a turtle. I will be getting another dog soon too. I live in a 3 bedroom/ 2 bathroom house....I don't think it is too many!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 11:28 PM
Banned

Each cat requires a committment of time, effort and money. Two cats isn't twice one cat, and three cats isn't three times, but each additional cat requires additional resources to properly care for. Only the individual providing the time, effort and money can decide. We must enrich the life of the cat, in the hope they will enrich our life. There's a point of diminishing returns for both sides.

To sum it up:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRagdoll
When they become too much or the effort seems to be almost as much as the pleasure, then you have too many.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:18 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I vent in this forum all the time. The beauty of this onliine forum is that I can rant and vent and face no personal consequences. I am actually a very shy person in real life.

Yeah my neighbors are already started calling me "cat lady". They don't understand why I spend as much on rent as on my cats.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRagdoll
How many is too many? More than you can handle....and by handle I mean feed, keep their litter clean, pet and socialize with, provide a home they all are comfortable in, get to the vet when they need it, give medication as required, and provide for financially through food, litter, toys, trees, and medical expenses.

When they become too much or the effort seems to be almost as much as the pleasure, then you have too many.
I totally agree with this. I have just gone from a 3-cat household to a 6-cat household, because my boyfriend had 3 and he's moved in. Usually if I mention this to a person, the first thing they ask is, "Why didn't you just get rid of some?" Well, because we love our cats!! To us, a change in our lifestyle isn't a very good reason to give away a pet as if it were a spare piece of furniture.

We both realize 6 cats will be a challenge but we are ready to take that on and so for us, it is not too many.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Banned

edit -> comment removed by moderator request.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 08:58 AM

I think it becomes too many when you cannot give the proper care and attention that they need. I have recently added a new addition to my household that is expecting some of her own. So I will have an unknown number of cats however within a month I should know. Confused? I am.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:28 PM

I have 2 large dogs and 4 cats in a smallish, 2 bedroomed, single storey house. They don't even have to access to the whole house, as I have to keep 1 cat seperate from the other 3!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 07:17 PM
Jr. Cat

I'm in a similiar situation. I have 4 indoor cats and 1 dog and I too will at times get looks when people hear this. I clean and sanatize (sp?) their litter boxes daily and you can't smell anything. My house is on the market now and I have gotton some comments from people like "you let them in your house?" I feel like saying yes, I let you in did'nt I? Don't worry, love them and enjoy them!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page