I'm back and rescuing cats, NEED ADVICE - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

I'm back and rescuing cats, NEED ADVICE

Hello everyone. I am back.

I decided I needed to come back since I have begun rescueing abandoned cats in my area. Some of my family thinks I am nuts for doing this.

There where three outside that I have been feeding, my neighbors cat was one to keep him alive, beside the three I have. We recently discovered a fourth one that is now in the house with us. A tiny malnurished pregnant female. I am feeling a little overwhemled by the entire situation and need a place to talk to people about it.

I took some pics of the cat, but in the photos she looks ok, not too thin but in reality she is very thin except for the pregnant belly, and huge nipples.

I have given her a place in the bathroom but she does not want to stay in there alone. So tonight i have place the other cats in different room s and aloowed her some freedom in the house. I have started feeding her kitten food and some kmr to help her to better health. I hope that I am doing the right thing.

Please tell me.
Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

We changed things a little for the night. To give her more space and people to be with we have moved her to the boys room. The other cats are not in there very much so this is a bit easier then the bathroom.
Here is another photo of her with my son.

She is continueing to eat and use the litterbox I gave her. She is just a little jewel of a kitten. I cannot understand why people do these irresponsible things.

I need to think of a name for her. I guess she wil become part of our family if she survives this ordeal. Any suggestions from anyone?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:22 PM

She is beautiful, and its so great that you are thinking about keeping her. My first peice of advice would be to take her to the vets as soon as you can for a check up and to confirm pregnancy. That way you can get her speyed ASAP if she is not, or if she is early on in pregnancy. She may even have had kittens already somewhere, which would account more for the large teats, so it really is worth checking the area in case she has newborns out there somewhere.

Welcome back! I'm glad you decided to post again, I look forward to updates on all these lucky orphans, and of course, your three as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
It's great that you're helping the strays, and I'm glad you've come back. Kitten food is good for a pregnant mom. If she's extremely young, you'll have to make sure all of the kittens are born.

We took in a young stray who was pregnant, and she had six kittens, but there was also a paw that had been delivered. I had to take her to the vet for a caesarean and spay. The vet said he wanted to do the surgery immediately, while she was still in good condition. If it hadn't been for that little paw sticking out, I would never have known there was another kitten!

Here are some links that might be helpful.

http://www.netcat.org/birth.html

http://www.netcat.org/birth.html

The information might be a bit elementary for you, but there might be somehing useful too.

And as Emma said, she should have a vet check. Good luck.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 02:01 PM

God Bless you. Last year, I took in a stray who had just delivered her kittens. She went ballistic about being inside! The only thing that kept her staying was her kittens. Thankfully, she and her 3 kittens all have good homes, now. I would name your kitty Precious. She is.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 02:18 PM

I think that it is wonderful that you are taking in strays and helping them...It is my dream to own a rescue...and do this also..

Here is a name...I think it fits her...

APHRODITE

The goddess of love and beauty...and she sure is beautiful!

Or you could call her Muffin and when her babies are born call them her Biscuits...Muffin and her Biscuits
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

I do not think that she has delivered any kittens outside because her tummy is too firm. It is not flacid like my other females. I have planned to take her to the vet but I will not go to my local vet anylonger, they have a practice of overvaccinating my pets. I am in the process of locating a new one.

She has been drinking kmr about an ounce every 2-3 hours during the day, and eating some kitten food and wet food also. She acts as though she has known us all her life, it is crazy.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 02:26 PM

What does kmr stand for?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_pen
What does kmr stand for?
kitten milk replacement
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 02:29 PM

Ah! Makes sense....is it really necessary to give pregnant queens milk? It's not something I have ever recommended to my clients nor done myself....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page