Should I get a second cat or not? Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Should I get a second cat or not? Help!

Question: I have been thinking about getting another cat, but I am worried that my current cat will not be as playful or as attention giving to me. I don't know if I am a 2-cat woman, but I would LOVE to get another cat. I am not worried about time or money commitment and I definitely LOVE my cat. (because I would love them both) But, the problem is I LOVE my cat. She is SUCH a princess! (She knows it too) and I want to give us both another cat if I think it would be in our best interest. What if she doesn't like the new kitty? What if I am unable to properly princess-ize both cats? It isn't a decision I am not taking lightly, I have been mulling over it for a year and a half now and still haven't reached a conclusion. I may be stuck in this state forever. Cats are just SUCH a lifetime commitment and it should benefit us BOTH. Advice please? How did it work for you? How will I know that they will be best buds?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Jr. Cat

What are you waiting for?

I can tell in your heart that you really desire another cat. You have the time and the money, so my advice is go for it! Princess will love having a playmate, and it will give you priceless moments of pleasure watching the two cats interact together. My advice is to take in a stray so that you'll be doing something good as well.

Make sure you follow proper slow "introductions" so that neither cat feels threatened by the other one. (It may take some time for the cats to warm up to each other)

The Original Male Kitten.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 09:01 AM

I agree with Trevor. You are willing to make the commiment.

I would start with a cat younger then the one I currently have, and take it slow. Give them each their own space and give them both plenty of attention so that your first does not get jealous.

You will be okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Banned

You can never tell what effect another cat will have on a resident cat. Like the other posters say, do a proper introduction. That's the best you can do. But still there's no guarantee the results will be positive. You just have to be willing to accept it and work with it. So, if you want to do this for what you can PUT into it, rather than what you can GET out of it, then go for it!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Banned

I would go for another cat if you have not done so. Tim makes a good point that the introduction may NOT be 100% positive. However, in time, the cats will get along. It took Poopsie a LONG time to accept the fourth cat, Willie. But now, while Poopsie like to occasionally swat at Willie (she does that with all the cats), they get along very well. Willie and Poopsie will lay right against each other in our window seat. Yes, they may roughhouse, but that is just their instinct. On the other hand, your current kitty may be like my Munchie in that he was around other cats for most of his life. Munchie came from a shelter so he was exposed to other cats. As a result, Munchie easily accepted every cat after him that was brought into the house. He never was aggressive towards them at all. In fact, when we got Tooties, Munchie found her hiding in the basement. Tooties then came right out to Munchie and they bonded right away. As a result, Tooties made herself right at home in an hour or two when it takes most cats a few days to come out of hiding.

Lastly I feel that any animal is happier with another one of its own kind. We all know of separation anxiety in pets. Well, having another cat in the house of one cat is to their mutual benefit and the first cat will be happier in the end to have a playmate.

Somewhat off topic. I was at the Metro Toronto Zoo in the summer of 2000. I was absolutely FURIOUS when I walked out of that zoo. Why? Because SO MANY exhibits only had one animal! My goodness, I could literally feel the sadness coming from the lonely animals. I about lost it when I was at the giraffe exhibit! That poor giraffe was so lonely. Good thing I did not run into a zoo employee. While I may have gone off, I know they have no control. It is the idiot director that allowed the animals to be solitary.

So with that in mind, I honestly feel that in the long run, after all is worked out between which cat rules the roost, they will be happier in the end with another cat around.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

All good things to consider and I will continue to consider them, especially as kitten season comes along. Thanks
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 01:44 AM

It is good that you are giving this a lot of thought, adding a new member to the family is a big decision, but an exciting one! Prepare yourself that your princess might not want to be best buddies with another cat but can learn to at least tolerate a companion if introduced properly. Then anything else is a bonus! Cats kinda have their own pecking orders and it is hard to tell how they will react, they really have different personalities and different cats react differently depending on the other cat. You might even end up with the perfect pair!

I have two princess cats and one talkative teddy bear of a boy cat. The one female rules the roost, she loves to just be adored and likes to play with the other two (but only if she thinks she is "winning") but she is not keen on snuggling with other cats. This used to make me sad as her sister DOES like to snuggle, but now she snuggles with the boy and they adore each other. All three play as they are close in age and activity levels and my top cat (princess extraordinaire!) is happy knowing she is top cat!

If you have a princess cat she probably wants to be in charge like mine. Try matching her with a more laid back cat (at least one that does not need to be in charge). A shelter would probably be able to point out some possible matches! Good luck and keep us posted!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 11:06 PM

I agree, what are you waiting for?! my boys hissed like crazy at first, and a few months later they are grooming each other and (occasionally) cuddling with each other! they are both content with picking a side of me to sleep up against! and my boys are 13 years apart! go for it! and show us pictures!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Gosh, thanks for the advice. I just want to make sure that my cat will continue to be happy and that I will be able to "share" the attention. It really is a big decision. I am still considering it. I am moving soon and it would probably be a good time to introduce a second kitty, so my cat will think she "came" with my new apartment. We'll see.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Gosh, thanks for the advice. I just want to make sure that my cat will continue to be happy and that I will be able to "share" the attention. It really is a big decision. I am still considering it. I am moving soon and it would probably be a good time to introduce a second kitty, so my cat will think she "came" with my new apartment. We'll see.
Make sure you show your newe cat a lot of affection in front of your old cat so that she doesn't think that the new cat is just some sort of rodent living in the new apartment then.

BTW--How big is your new apartment going to be? I'd recommend at least 900 square feet for 2 cats, otherwise it will feel crowded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page