Just need to vent - Introductions are hard! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Just need to vent - Introductions are hard!

First of all, I wanted to say thanks to anyone who has given advice, either directly to me or through other forum threads, about the introduction of our new Leia to our resident Lando. I just basically need to vent a bit. I know things are getting better between the two, but it takes a long time and I want them to be friends - or at least tolerate each other - now!

Here's where we stand. Leia (about 6 mos) has lived here three weeks and has recovered from the bite wound she had when we found her, as well as from her spaying last week. For the most part, she and Lando seem to have an uneasy truce, in that they have spent up to two hours in the same room with each other without hissing, growling, or swatting.

Still, Leia seems very frightened of Lando and will hiss when he comes too close, unless they are eating together (then they just ignore each other). Lando seems to be more or less politely indifferent but will sometimes spend a good deal of time staring at her, and once or twice he's pounced (but I think he's trying to play). He swatted at her yesterday but she was sitting on my lap - I assume that was a kind of "get off my mom" thing.

I guess my question is whether we seem to be on the right track, and will it be obvious when I can leave them alone unsupervised? I know progress has been made, and I'll continue to be patient and give them space and love and treats and play. It takes a long time, though (petulant whine).

Thanks for listening! Back to supervising.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I think they're doing well. I doubt they'd get into a real fight, probably just bat at one another. Give them a bit more time. They might never become good friends, but they'll tolerate each other, I'm sure. Or, who knows? They might find that it's fun to have someone to play with!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 02:43 PM

Oh goodness, I know your pain. I have 3 cats, 2 females that "tolerate" each other and act more like sisters, chasing, swatting and growling at each other and then my sweetie boy Sully who wants to play with the girls but they are utterly scared of him and when they swat he swats back and ends up hurting them.

Now I have gone to the lengths of getting an animal behaviourist to help with these problems. This was over 2 months ago and the progress is so slow that you really need a lot of patience! I was supposed to keep mine separated for 2 months by a gate that they could see each other through, which I sorta didn’t follow to the tea! I felt so bad for Sully being gated in the kitchen that I keep the gate open when I am there to supervise. I think our progress would be better if I hadn't done that but he is used to it now that he cries if I don't let him out once in awhile.

Back to your situation, what I have learned is if there is any and I mean any negative reactions in either of your kitties then you are not ready to let them be alone. Since I have been opening the gate we have had a few fights when I wasn't there (I trusted my husband to watch them, unfortunately not a good idea ) and every fight really steps you back a notch. Fights lead to bad association of each other and that is not what you want. Ideally you want to separate them as soon as you see something brewing, and I know that is not easy. Or, try distracting them by playing, that works for me. I bring out Da Bird and all the hissing stops!

I foresee a very long time, maybe years before mine will relax but that is what I am willing to do because all mine are rescue cats that I would never have the heart to rehome. I am sure you situation will get better before mine, my cats are much older then yours.

Cheer up, it will get better if you don't rush things!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Banned

If you're seeing progress, that's an accomplishment. Three weeks may seem like a long time, but in the retrospect of a cat's 15 - 20 year life span, it's a very short time. Be patient and keep at it!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 12:59 AM
Cool Cat

Just make sure than Lando doesn't feel like he's being replaced. Give him plenty of attention and love so he doesn't associate any lack thereof with the new cat. Sounds like it's going OK. It will just take time.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 01:25 AM
Cat Addict

Mischka 4 & Linx 3 still only tolerate each other. Linx & Sundance play rough alot but no one gets hurt and they keep going back to each other. I have walked in on Mischka & the baby playing not like Linx but fom behind the door or scratcher then when she sees me she'll give him a good swat & leave. (Not sure who she thinks she is fooling LOL). I have had Sundance for 2 months. They are teaching me patience! I kept them seperated for about a week then slowly left them together. A slow process but your situation sounds ok to me. best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page