Litter Training Question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Litter Training Question

Hi Guys,

We are picking up our two 8 week old kittens that we have adopted on Saturday (YEAH!) and I had a question about litter training. My mother-in-law does not have a litter box inside the house, she keeps it on the porch. The cat will go over to the door and meow when she wants to go out. I want to train our kittens to do this also. I have a flexible schedule and am home a lot and plan on putting the kittens out on the porch to enjoy the sunshine when I am out. Has anybody else done this and how has it worked for you? Any opinions on this?

P.S. On a slightly different note, is scoopable litter Ok for a kitten?

Thanks so much for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 11:41 PM
Banned

I second the suggestion for a cat flap in the door. Standing at the door begging to go out to use the litter box is definitely NOT a cat thing. The fact your mother-in-law's cat does it is probably a total fluke. I wouldn't count on you getting your kittens to learn how to do the same. However, if you're willing to risk lots of "accidents", you're certainly welcome to be the trail-blazer for the Cat Forum!!

Eagerly anticipating progress reports......
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 01:08 PM

They should be fine @ 8 weeks.

I think this would probably work. We have our litterbox in the basement and there is a gate infront of the door. My older cat can jump the cat, but the kitten can't yet. When Wallis wants to use the litterbox she goes down stairs and meows or she will meow a few times at someone. You can usually tell it is a "I have to potty" meow. We have had her for two weeks and there have not been any accidents. She seems to know the routine.

My only suggestion would be to pay close attention to your kittens. Maybe put them in the litter box ever few hours, so they get the hint. And if they cry or whine, put them in the box just to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page