shelter & taking kitty back & wanting to re-adopt, a - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

shelter & taking kitty back & wanting to re-adopt, a

what do you think??

As you know, my Jazzy died a few weeks ago. I went out that following Sunday and adopted a 1-2yo orange tabby named Sampson.

Well I brought him home and later that night he pooed diarrhea with blood in it I took him to the vet the next day, and they said he had a fecal infection, and gave me medicine and said to come back in a week. Ugggh. I wasn't ready for this. I paid $105.00 to adopt him. A few days later he peed on the carpet. Given this and having to administer the medicine, and not knowing how bad this fecal infection was, I brought him back to the shelter I told them that he is apparently sick and that I didn't have the $$$ to take care of him. At that time, I was so crazy with guilt and shame and loss that I just gave him to them, gave them his medicine and apologized.

Well I haven't been able to stop thinking about him... so I went the other day to see if he was still there. To my amazement, he is VERY sick. He has coccidia and roundworm and a bad URI.

I talked to a man at the shelter yesterday and asked how Sampson was doing, and he said that he is pretty sick, but should be well in a 10 days. I then asked if they would be willing to re-adopt him out to me. He said he didn't think it was a "problem", but maybe I am better off looking at a different cat. I got the feeling that they thought I did something wrong. I know, I feel shame that I brought him back, but I am confused as to what my role is and what the role of a shelter is.

Also, I am thinking if I am able to re-adopt him, I believe I shouldn't have to fork out another $105.00 for him because he was so sick? Do you agree?

Please give me your honest opinion. Do you think I should try to re-adopt him or just leave it alone and let him go I really miss him and really liked him, but obviously he was very sick when I got him. Also, this could be very well why he peed and I was just not ready for the large vet costs again, etc.

Maybe I'm just not ready for all this, and need to let him go, but I just don't know I hate to pass him up and think of the possibilities of him ending up in a not so warming home , seeing he has been through so much already... and which I am sadly part of. I wonder if he would even forgive me anyhow. Ugggh

Thanks!
Annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 08:44 AM

I do not know what if any advice I can give. It is my opinion that the shelter should have vetted him and made sure he was in good health before they adopted him out to you or anyone else. Of course animals are going to have some problems sometimes, but they have the resources to tkae care of them, and they should not be ignored, especially when adoption fees are so high. Please do not feel guilty for taking him back, you did what you felt was the right thing to do at the time. Did the shelter return your original adoption fee? If not I would be asking for it, unless you just want them to keep it. At the shelter I used to adopt from, they had a return policy, that included animal exchange if needed at no extra cost.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 08:46 AM

Annie, I followed your story about Jazzy and then about Sampson. In my honest opinion I would suggest allowing yourself to grieve the loss of your first cat...it still doesn't sound like you are really ready for another cat yet. If I follow your story correctly then you still owe your vet a lot of money from Jazzy's treatment...you cannot guarentee that another cat, whether it's Sampson or not, will not get sick agin, and you could find yourself in alot of debt.

Your suggestion about volunteering at the shelter, to me sounds like the best plan at the minute...that way you are surrounding yourself with the lovliness of cats, but without the financial responsibility...and the guilt if anything does happen and you have to take him back.

If you do re-adopt him, which I don't think is a bad idea, just make sure you are absolutley ready for it, I think it would be quite damaging to you both to have to take him back again.

Please tread carefully...it sounds like you are still quite fragile. In the meantime, good luck with your job at the shelter, and give sampson and yourself big hugs from me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeae
Did the shelter return your original adoption fee? If not I would be asking for it, unless you just want them to keep it. At the shelter I used to adopt from, they had a return policy, that included animal exchange if needed at no extra cost.
No they didn't, but I wasn't too concerned with it at the time. I'm not going to press the issue with them at all... however, if I do re-adopt him, I'm going to ask them if they would charge me again. I hope they would say no. ... but I have a feeling they're going to give me a hard time. I can understand them just feeling uncomfortable with me taking him again, for fear that I might return him. However, if they clear up this fecal infection, it's unlikely he'd get it again, seeing there are no other cats here or anywhere... he'll be inside.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the people who adopt are supposed to take them on regardless of their health, I don't know. It's just a very cute cat who was sick, adopted by me too soon from putting Jazzy down, and now I can't stop thinking about him.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamlet
Annie, I followed your story about Jazzy and then about Sampson. In my honest opinion I would suggest allowing yourself to grieve the loss of your first cat...it still doesn't sound like you are really ready for another cat yet. If I follow your story correctly then you still owe your vet a lot of money from Jazzy's treatment...you cannot guarentee that another cat, whether it's Sampson or not, will not get sick agin, and you could find yourself in alot of debt.

Your suggestion about volunteering at the shelter, to me sounds like the best plan at the minute...that way you are surrounding yourself with the lovliness of cats, but without the financial responsibility...and the guilt if anything does happen and you have to take him back.

If you do re-adopt him, which I don't think is a bad idea, just make sure you are absolutley ready for it, I think it would be quite damaging to you both to have to take him back again.

Please tread carefully...it sounds like you are still quite fragile. In the meantime, good luck with your job at the shelter, and give sampson and yourself big hugs from me.
Thanks spamlet Maybe you're right, but the thought of losing him too is so sad He was so cute ... and they haven't called for the volunteer job yet, argggggggggggggggggggggh!! I hate this, I like him alot, and I miss both him and Jazzy, arggggggggggggggh!! Losing a cat is alot harder than I ever thought Thanks for your words, and I hope I'm not a spazzo bother on this forum, it's just crazy with all these cat emotions... thank goodness for this forum!!! Thanks!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 09:14 AM

Annie, I am lucky in that I have not yet experienced the loss of a pet, I can only imagine how hard it is. I know you liked Sampson, but please go easy on yourself. He isn't the only cat that you are capable of loving. You must take your time with this and not expect all the emotions and feelings to have gone in a matter of weeks, it will take time.

Are there any other shelters in your area that you can apply to also? I think you need to keep yourself busy and also like you're doing something positive, it seems like you have so many negative thoughts about yourself and the way you handled everything.

Take care Annie
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Cool Cat

I agree that you seem like you need some more time to be emotionally and financially ready for a new pet. Some people want a new pet immediately, others need a period of aloneness; it's very individual. If you volunteer, you'll be able to meet the cats and know who's healthy, playful, problematic, etc., and that will help you make a decision based on your priorities (like health) when you ARE ready.

I suspect that the shelter I work with would charge the second adoption fee if they thought that the adopter was acting rashly (out of guilt or emotion), or if they were financially unable to deal with a pet's medical issues...it would be their way of making the person back up and think twice. Usually, the cost of getting an animal ready for adoption and housing it is at least twice what the adoption fee is, more if it's a no-kill shelter with long-term residents, so it's not like they're making a tidy profit on adoption fees...we placed one dog for an adoption fee of $100, but we'd spent almost $1500 on vet care, food, meds, training, labour, and sundries in the two years we had her...it's not at all uncommon for a cat or dog to be into us for $500 or more by the time they're placed (my little stray Cookie, for example, has cost the shelter a ton of money so far...which I need to reimburse them for...but her adoption fee is still $80 just like everyone else...it's hard enough to place a special-needs cat, never mind trying to recoup medical expenses).

As I said, worms and URI are pretty minor, and as common as dirt in shelters (pretty much all of our strays come in with worms), and no shelter can completely guarantee the health of any animal (it says so right on our adoption application)...you deworm, spay/neuter, test for FIV/FeLV, and treat for stuff like URI's, but just the stress of moving to a new home (then the vet's, and back to the shelter again) can make a previously undetected URI really flare up badly and be worse than it would have been otherwise. Sometimes, minor ailments are quite easy to miss (especially when you only get a volunteer vet once or twice a week), and they get spread around easily in shelters, so it's possible that an animal who looks fine may be just starting to come down with a cold...happens all the time, as a matter of fact.

I think your best bet at this point is to take some time and come to grips with what happened to Jazzy. If you feel up to it, volunteering is a good way to get back in the swing of things...and like I said, you'll know which cats are healthy and which might have special needs. But I think you definitely need some time...impulsiveness will only cause pain to you and a new pet. Take your time, and give yourself enough time to be financially ready and to make good decisions. There's no shame at all in recognising that you need some time to reflect and recover from a loss, but making yourself into an emotional pinball machine won't help you, and it won't help Sampson.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 10:21 AM

I would be very careful if you readopt him Would you be readopting him just because you feel sorry for him? Because if that is the case I wouldn't really advise that.

Also if he was ill again and went to the toilet on your carpet again how would you feel? I think you need to give some serious thought to these questions before you make a decision.

Maybe it is a little soon after the loss of your last cat. But no matter what you decide make sure it is the best decision for both you and Sampson.

Good Luck

Take care

Sx
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 01:14 PM

We have a cat at our shelter that had similar medical issues and she was not available for adoption until she was well and it took months, and believe me they invested more money in that girl then they could ever recoup from adoption. I believe the shelter would probably not place Sampson back with you until he was healthy and then if they were to let you have him back you really can't blame them for charging you, they did foot the medical bill. If they are willing to adopt him to you the way he is, I would be a little weary. I understand you feel they should not have given you a sick cat, but more then likely he showed no signs of this before he came to you. Most shelters are very careful that way, but there are those that aren’t so I would be cautious. I don’t agree with them not refunding a least a portion of you money when you returned him the first time but those details would have been or should have been given to you beforehand, as bad as it is to say “buyer beware”. Every shelter is free to set their own policies.

I suggest you volunteer, I started to get get a "cat addiction" and had to stop after 3 and realize in my situation it would not be advisable. I volunteer every weekend and that suits me very well, you can always foster kittens, I am sure they could use the help!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 02:00 PM

Hi Annie. I have also followed your posts and again, I am so sorry for your loss! Since I just lost my cat Slinky 1 week ago, I know how you feel right now and I would suggest what some of the others have - that is, try volunteering for a while. I know how lost you feel right now and torn up inside. I know the loneliness you feel without your Jazzy. I feel it too, without Slinky, every second of the day.

Please don't beat yourself up over this kitty Annie! You did what you thought was best when you adopted him and when you brought him back. You are a very loving, caring person. I think you need to take some time to love and care about yourself for a while. If Sampson was meant to be your kitty, he will be. Hang out at the shelter if you want to, but give yourself time to grieve.

I wish you the very best. I hope your heart settles soon and gives you some peace (you deserve it).

**hugs**

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page