Aggressive Cat Question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Aggressive Cat Question

My boyfriend and I adopted a cat from a shelter last March. They had brought her in from a feral colony a few months before that. Don't get me wrong, she has changed so much since we brought her home but we are still having a bit of trouble with her. When she plays, she plays hard as if she were chasing a mouse or something. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten my hand ripped open by her teeth and front claws. So, I'm pretty much looking for any suggestions or tips on how I can work on her aggression and to help her calm down.

Her name is Meridan and she is a 3yr old DSH female.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 09:51 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
How do you play with her?

If you started out playing with your fingers and hands as toys, that could be a major source of your problem. From this moment on, she has to understand that her teeth are to NOT touch your skin. Any time she makes a move to them, make a loud noise like you are hurt (in most cases you won't have to fake it) turn around and ignore her... or immediately give her something appropriate to play with.

Kittens at this age are very playful, but still learning their boundaries. You'll have to set them straight now before they become large cats with even larger teeth who still want to chew on your hands instead of their toys.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

It's not really like the idea of playing....she has this thing it seems like everything we do is playing. Even if we pet her like normal she will go for your hand out of nowhere. She was terrible with that when we first brought her home. You wouldn't last half a minute petting her without her retaliating somehow. But now she'll let you pet her for a while and at times she won't.

Whenever we play with her, we pretty much throw a ball and she'll go chasing it and that sort of stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupTup
When she plays, she plays hard as if she were chasing a mouse or something. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten my hand ripped open by her teeth and front claws.
This is quite simply how cats play. You're not supposed to play with a cat with your hands. Use interactive toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupTup
Even if we pet her like normal she will go for your hand out of nowhere. She was terrible with that when we first brought her home. You wouldn't last half a minute petting her without her retaliating somehow. But now she'll let you pet her for a while and at times she won't.
This is perfectly normal and understandable. This is a former feral cat. She's not used to being petted. Cats are quite sensitive to touch and are easily overstimulated. When they are, their reaction is to deliver a warning bite: "stop it!!" You have to learn to look for the signs: twitching skin on the back, tail lashing back and forth are the two easiest. Stop handling her before she gets to the point where she needs to deliver the warning bite. Then she will gradually become desensitized to your touch and you can gradually increase the petting. Also, while petting, if she wants to get away, don't insist on holding her. Let her go when she's had enough.

Just be patient. This cat sounds like a perfectly normal cat that has not had much human contact and needs to be accustomed to it slowly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page