more cats vs dogs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

more cats vs dogs

I have three dogs, and two cats. My observation is this: it seems like the three dogs are very bonded to me, but not as bonded to each other. I don't think any of them would mind being the only dog, and they have grown up together!

The two cats are littermates, so of course they are VERY bonded with each other. The cats play together, sleep together, etc, they are very into one another.

After eleven years together, the dogs don't like to cuddle with each other and hardly acknowledge one another.

Any thoughts on this..epecially those households with multiple cats AND multiple dogs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 02:27 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I used to have multiple dogs. Now I have multiple cats. I actually like the personality of dogs better. Cats, however, are so amazingly quiet!!! They are like dogs on mufflers.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 08:59 AM

I think it depends entirely on the personality of the animal.

I have 2 dogs, Bear I got when she was 7 weeks old and had her for 3 years before I got Guinness. Guinness was about 2 when I got him. Both dogs are bonded to me, but Guinness is also very bonded to Bear. Bear is sort of a security blanket for Guinness. He is much more confident when she is around. I don't think Guinness would do great as an only dog, I suspect he'd have some seperation issues. Bear was an only dog for 3 years, and I suspect her perfect world would be to have Guinness there for company when I'm gone, but to have me all to herself when I'm home. Bear is more attached to me than Guinness is. Once at a dog park, I had to leave for a few minutes (friends were still there to watch my dogs) Bear stayed by the fence the whole time waiting for me. Guinness, well you let him off leash and I think he forgot who he came with. I have friends who have a dog from the same breeder as I got Bear. They were out of town at the time I got Bear, so they had to wait until Bailey was 11 weeks old before they got her. Normally this is a good thing to wait, but in hindsight, the breeders were backyard breeders and didn't play with the puppies much. You can really see a difference in Bailey and Bear (both goldens) Bear loves people, she loves other dogs, but she'd rather be with people. Bailey has no use for people. She's not unfriendly, but she could probably careless if she ever saw people again. All she needs are other dogs.

With the cats, one is much more people oriented than the other. They weren't really littermates, but they were together since they were about a week old. I've had them both since they were 6 weeks old. They are definatly bonded together and will stick up for eachother if the dogs are pestering one of them.

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer2
I think it depends entirely on the personality of the animal.
yes, i agree.

i have a 6 year old rottweiler, a 9 month old labrador pup, and three cats.... two of the cats are two year old littermates(carmella and ruud) and the other cat, Francis, is three years old.
Carm and Ruud are inseperable. (see my sig)
Ruud and Francis have been known to cuddle.
Carmella and Francis are friends, but they rarely cuddle.
The lab likes Carmella, they nuzzle and play all the time.
Ruud and the puppy antagonise eachother.
The Rottweiler is not very interested in the cats, but she treats the puppy like he is her own... she has even charged strange dogs that are harassing the pup. (by "charged" i mean posturing and barking, she is not an aggressive dog) they also play together, something i have NEVER seen my rottie do until we got the pup... she is not normally a playful creature.

it is really fascinating to watch them all interact with each other. They all have such different personalities. As for bonding with the people...
Carmella and Ruud are very sweet but they love eachother best. Francis is my boy, he is on my lap right now... and he loves his daddy too but he is not overly friendly with strangers.
and the dogs are dogs... the two people of the house are EVERYTHING to them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
My cats are bonded, since I've had both since they were kittens. One was only a few weeks older than the other. My collies all played together and played with (and nursed two) of my cats.

My last collie was the only one, but he had my son's Golden Retriever to run and play with every Sunday. We have a huge back yard, which is fenced in and an ideal place for the two to run. When my son's dog died, (he had a convulsion) my Beethoven began to go downhill, and I knew there would be a second death. He was old for a collie, but like a puppy when his friend came. Well, he went downhill and died a few months after his friend. He still stood up, tail wagging, by the door when he heard my husband's truck coming, and he loved my husband, but his playmate had never come again. Beethoven lost heart and followed his friend to the Rainbow Bridge.

When I was raising collies, I had three adults. My special Sari was dying of lymphatic leukemia near my feet, and all around her were two collies and four cats. It was exactly like a family gathering around a dying relative. I have seldom seen love expressed better.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 02:23 PM

Although you can tell my dogs love each other, they would rather be with me or Dave. My cats prefer each other. I think it's simply natural traits of both species.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_pen
Although you can tell my dogs love each other, they would rather be with me or Dave. My cats prefer each other. I think it's simply natural traits of both species.
this is exactly what I am observing. The dogs want to be with the humans rather than each other, the cats are more into each other. It's quite interesting!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyLA

this is exactly what I am observing. The dogs want to be with the humans rather than each other, the cats are more into each other. It's quite interesting!
before all my other pets joined the family, it was just me and Francis. he used to meet me at the door when i came home and follow me from room to room like my dogs do now. now that i have multiple cats he is just a kitty again, and even more private and eccentric than the others. interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page