Amusing lazy indoor cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Amusing lazy indoor cats

I find that often playing with my cats is really challenging. I'll take out an interactive cat toy like a wand toy and move it around and all they do is sit there and look at it. I'm trying to get some more creative ideas. I'm very interested in finding out how other cat owners amuse lazy indoor cats and make them active. I'm always worried about whether or not I'm doing enough for them. Am I making their lives interesting enough? So fellow cat owners, what do you do to amuse your cats? What kind of games do you play with your cats? What really makes them tick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 05:29 AM

The simplest things work best - tin foil rolled into a ball and 'pinged' about the floor always gets my cats going. Or string/wool to chase. One of my cats loves chasing the spot of light made by a mini torch on the floor too. You dont have to spend any money to have fun

However... Da bird makes them crazy

Lorna
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 09:55 AM

Da Bird only makes one of my cats crazy. Bogart could not care less about Da Bird, but Buster loves it. The laser light is good, that gets them both going. They also like playing fetch, usually with my ponytail holders. Crumpled up paper is pretty good too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

My cats have a very short attention span and quickly lose interest in things that are supposed to make cats go nuts. I tried da bird, the panic mouse, lazer light, I have fly toys, feathers on wands, all kinds of things. Sometimes I'm lucky. If they're in the right mood they'll give me a reaction, but a short one and then sit and do nothing. Spotty does nothing to the lazer light but sit and watch. Rosie might chase the lazer light for 15-30 seconds if I'm lucky and then do nothing. Last time I thew a crumpled piece of paper they did nothing. But I'll give it a try today to see what happens. They do like mylar toys and when I put them under a rug and play peek a boo, they pounce on those. Spotty likes the kitty charmer. He's been chasing that and carrying it in his mouth and meowing like crazy but yesterday he didn't want to play that game. I have a cast and fishing rod with a mouse at the end. That will amuse them for a few minutes, they'll run after it and then when I drag the mouse under a rug they'll try and pounce on it. It's better than nothing but after a few minutes they lose interest in that too. I pretty much depend on dragging wand toys on string under rugs to make them stalk and pounce Too often when I drag them around my home they do nothing. I want them to be more active. That would at least make me feel that they're not bored. But I guess I'm expecting too much. So I'm wondering if there are any games cat owners play with their cats that I don't know about that I could try.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 05:14 PM

could someone provide a link to a store with the 'da bird' toy? i've heard about this alot.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 05:16 PM
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 07:41 PM

This might sound daft but my oldest cat Heski (Nearly 4 yrs) doesn't care much for toys aprt from the laser light and shining a torch light on the wall/ceiling but a favourite game of his is hide and seek!!!!

He will run up to you then run away and hide behind the sofa, i then have to go seek him out then when he knows i found him, its my turn to hide, when he spots me he runs and hides.....and so it goes on!!!

He also like to play chase up and down the stairs and will try and grab you through the bannisters, we both have fun.

But i really don't think you could teach a cat to play hide and seek

I don't suppose this helps you much, sorry!!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

That's all right. They all have their own personalities. Rosie gets really fascinated when I take a stick, ribbon or mylar fringe toy attached to a stick and pull it in and out a cardboard tube after all the paper towels are used up and thrown away. She watches with intense interest and paws at the object appearing and disappearing and when she's really into it she pounces so hard it's almost scary. I tried it with Spotty tonight and he did the same thing. Rosie gets especially crazy with this game. It seems certain cats like certain games and not every game appeals to every cat. But it's worth introducing variety anyway.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 11:27 AM

Mine love their toys Hawkeye love his scratch post but the others love catnip toys, I went on a day trip with ian the other weekend as he was playing rugby I bought the cats a toy while I was up there and put the wrapping in my wastepaper bin in the living room, I woke up the next day to find the contents all over the floor and radar hugging the toy wrapper, i forgot the smell of the catnip would have gone on to the wrapper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page