Yesterday's News cat litter by Purina? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Yesterday's News cat litter by Purina?

Our vet sent this home with us for Charlie. He's supposed to use it for the next 2 weeks, until he's fully recovered from his surgery. Has anyone else used this? Any tips for keeping the box smelling fresh without having to dump the whole pan every day? It's not a clumping litter...more like little pellets of newspaper. So the urine soaks right through and sits on the bottom of the pan. Despite my scooping right after he goes, it's still smelly. I cannot add anything that may get into the wound in his foot (see my post in the health forum https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=19877). Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 03:07 PM

We tried it and didn't like it - we had the same problem.

The only thing I can suggest is getting shredded newspaper and just emptying it each time rather than using litter, if you can't add anything.

There may be other litters you can use that are better than yesterdays news and still OK with his foot.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 11:01 AM

I had a similar problem recently, since the foundling kitty we just adopted had a paw wound. We used Yesterday's News per the vet's instructions and I couldn't deal with the smell - just awful.

We ended up putting a layer of newspaper (not shredded - just a few sheets) underneath the layer of litter. It helped with the smell a little, because it afforded the urine a chance to dry a little faster. We did still have to dump most of it when we changed the box, though. I was using a new newpaper layer daily. Sorry I can't be more help.

It was a relief to all of us when we went back to our usual litter! The kitten was particularly happy - ran right back to it. Apparently she didn't like the smell or the texture either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page