Finally adopted , more questions =D - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Finally adopted , more questions =D

Sorry for so many questions but i suck at using search . Well we got our 1 yr old cat and hes adorable very affectionate and lazy. We have him in a spare bedroom at the moment with his litter box food bowl and water. I heard your supposed to leave the cat in the room for about a month or so to get used to there litter box etc , would it be ok to let him roam for a couple hours while i am on watch then put him back in his bedroom? Would these sudden changes scare him , would he like it so much he wouldn't remember his litter box and food are in the bedroom? He hasn't used his litter box yet so should i wait until he does so he knows then let him roam?

Thanks , Manny.

EDIT : Sorry for so many questions but I've bought him a collar and its quite spiffy, he's an indoor cat only but he looks so great in it. My question is when i put it on him he tries to bite it off is this normal? Should i take it off him when he struggles or just keep it on him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Banned

I don't see any need to confine him to one room any longer than it takes to see that he's using the litter box. If there's no one home to supervise, I'd suggest putting him in the room while you're gone, though, until you know what kind of trouble he likes to get into and have a chance to cat-proof the house.

As for the collar, put in on for just short periods of time while he's distracted doing something else ... eating and playing are great distractions ... until he gets used to the feel.

Sounds like you're doing just fine!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Awsome , So what you mean is once he goes poopie in the litter box he always will even if hes upstairs? And about the collar thing , If he still tries to bite it off would it be better to just leave it off or will he stop trying to bite it off sooner or later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Cat Addict

As long as he knows where the litter box is, he should be fine. You could try picking him up and putting him in the box and scratching his paws, but he pretty much should know how to use it. I would say he hasn't gone because he is still getting used to your place. If you are worried, you can put one box upstairs and one box downstairs in a bathroom or laundry room.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 12:03 AM

He should be fine to roam the house, provided he can get to the litterbox. Hippyhart's suggestion of adding another is great.

As far as the collar issue, All of mine except Chloe tend to take theirs off, and Connor fights when you try to put one on him, so for now he has won and is not wearing one. Yours should stop biting at it when he gets used to it, it is just a matter of time.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 10:02 PM
Cat Addict

Manny, how's it going with the new cat?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:25 PM

Don't leave him unsupervised with the collar on until he shows no signs of intolerance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page