hysterical- water bugs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

hysterical- water bugs

My husband and I discussed children before we were married and we decided that we didn't want any. We should also have discussed cats.
Three years ago we took in a cat that belonged to a deceased aunt. This animal had a bad temper and no one else wanted him. He was not declawed and hence my curtains, sofa and rugs are now clawed and shredded.
But I don't want to talk about that because the terminal problem is that I now have water bugs(I can't bring myself to think that they may be those other disgusting bugs!). Started in the basement and tonight I saw one in my kitchen!
For the 15 years before the cat I never had any bugs but now I do. I want the cat gone and gone he must be because he does not have the disposition for adoption. I know that he could be worse, he's not all bad and at times I do enjoy him because he can be cute. And he does add life to our some times dull house but I will NOT NOT NOT have bugs.

I have made up my mind that the cat goes and the basement will be trashed and sprayed. I feel badly for my husband for the cat and for myself (I know I will miss him a little).

But what I want to know is why don't other people have this problem? Everyone I know has an animal and no one every complains about bugs. Our basement has been flooded a couple of times and we have far too many things but I couldn't be the only person with this problem.

If I let lose and cry I will become hysterical.
Sad, disgusted, guilty, this is terrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 11:32 PM
Banned

I'm sorry about the bugs -- I know you're at your wit's end with them -- but don't blame the cat. It's just pure coincidence. That's why no one else with cats has this problem, as you noted. Please call an exterminator and find out what needs to be done to get rid of the bugs. But you don't need to send the cat away to fix the bug problem.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 11:34 PM

are we talking fleas here, what are water bugs??

I think bugs happen to alot of people, but some people just don't mind, and I'm not kidding about that. Some people just deal with fleas in their house, and it doesn't bother them. It WOULD bother me.

So I don't know. It could be something that is in your basement, or maybe the cat brought in? Is he/she an outdoor cat?

What do these bugs look like?, are they tiny black and jump. Fleas jump!!, if they don't jump, they're not a flea...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 11:39 PM
Banned

Hmmmm.....good point, well taken. I thought she's talking roaches (or some other household insect pest). Fleas would, of course, involve the cat. But why would fleas start in the basement? Unless that's where the cat hangs out, I suppose. I was thinking the water in the basement had something to do with it. Awaiting further clues.....
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 12:45 AM
Cat Addict

Do water bugs = silver fish?
Quote:
Our basement has been flooded a couple of times and we have far too many things but I couldn't be the only person with this problem.
Could the basement floods be the reason you have water bugs?

In my experience with cats, you should have less of a bug problem (mine gobble them up the moment they see them).

Sorry you've had a bad experience with this cat, but why did you keep him for three years if you had a problem with him? Also, he may not be the animal you would have as a pet, but you may be able to rehome him. People expect different things from cats -- most people like cats because they are independent creatures (they also can be crabby) and don't need attention all the time. Sorry you feel that he is causing your bug problem, but I would find out from an exterminator before having him put down.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippyhart
In my experience with cats, you should have less of a bug problem (mine gobble them up the moment they see them).
Hey, I never thought about that... my condo is new too, but you're right, Jazzy's been eating all the bugs. I found a tiny spider on my arm yesterday, but that was because I had just got in from biking in the forest... too bad Jazzy wasn't here, I would have fed her, LOL!!

You're right, cats do eat bugs, I forget
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 10:17 AM

I don't know what water bugs are. But it sounds like if you have a damp basement that has flooded before and there is clutter down there, *that* is the reason for the bugs. The only bugs I'd associate with cats are fleas, and if that is the case, EVERY cat that is allowed outside should be treated with flea prevention. I would not blame any of this on the cat, b/c if it IS fleas that you are finding, you should have treated your cat for it before letting it outside. This can be remedied and is not the cats fault at all. And if you have an indoor cat that is getting fleas, it is certainly not the cat's fault either. Any other bug...and again...not the cat's fault. That is, like Tim said, why none of us have bugs. Because they are unrelated to the cats.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I would not have keep the cat one day if he had been an outside cat, I didn't want the fleas. I kept him 3 years because what was the alternative, put him to sleep? I didn't want that, he's a living thing.
The bugs did started in the basement where the food is located.
I am no bug expert but I am told that water bugs are black and largER which I guess means that black roaches are smaller. I think that the really bad roaches are brown. My things are black so I am saying that they are water bugs.
I called an exterminator today and I'll talk with him about cat/bugs but I am pessimistic. The basement is definately part of the problem but at this point I can't image get rid of the bugs when we have cat food availabe for them to feed on.
P.S. DARN if after writing this e-m last night I went upstairs and saw one in the Living Room. I am a clean, neat person I HATE this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 10:37 AM
Cat Addict

So, if it's your cat of three years causing your bug problem, then why are you just now getting bugs? And if you are associating it with food, why can't it be "people food" that's drawing in the bugs? Bugs can come from a number of places -- and they can travel on clothing, in grocery bags, in boxes, anything brought into the house. Sorry, but I just don't understand why you think it's the cat that brought in the bugs when you admitted you had a flooded basement, which can draw in palmetto bugs, silver fish, spiders, etc.

http://www.pestproducts.net/roaches.htm
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 10:37 AM

I doubt that the cat is the cause of the bugs.

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/silverfish.htm

Bugs and cats don't get along becuase of how cat are usually after everything, so they'll either kill or eat the bugs. I wouldn't be surprized to find out that your problem would be alot worst if you hadn't had the cat.

The exterminator should be able to tell you where the gaps are in your bug protection. Many people do a spring bug protection regiment, but bugs can still get through (carried in on a person, in a plant, ect...). The expert should help.

EDIT: for additional Information...

I could be the food, either the cat or the people food. Most foods, both human can animal, actually have innert bug larva in them. They are harmless, but in the right condition they will activate and grow (in grains, rice, ect..) A good idea is to have any food such as these removed from their containers and put in sealable plastic containers. Dont' know if its an issue here or not, but seemed like a good place to pass that tip along.

EDIT: - Another idea...

http://store.diyhut.com/ulpesrep.html

Use sound to drive away the little buggers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page