baby kittens born to barn cat and litter habits? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

baby kittens born to barn cat and litter habits?

Hi all... an friend's barn cat had kittens a couple weeks ago. He just sent me some pics, and if Sampson doesn't work out from the shelter, I'm thinking of adopting one of the kittens

I'm wondering though, is it possible to litter train them, even if they are in a barn right now.

Is there a risk taking a kitty from a barn to indoor?, if so, please explain.

Thanks!!
annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 12:42 PM

Cats quickly adapt, the younger the more so in most cases. A barn kitten can be litter trained like any other kitten from unknown background. It's natural instinctive behaviour, and not too hard to pick up.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_pen
Cats quickly adapt, the younger the more so in most cases. A barn kitten can be litter trained like any other kitten from unknown background. It's natural instinctive behaviour, and not too hard to pick up.
emma, how many weeks before they can be adopted, 8??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 02:58 PM

Lizzy was a 6 month old kitten that was born in a barn when we got her. She had never been inside or seen a litterbox, but she has never had any problems using it. She is a year old now, and still is faithful to it.

So it is my opinion that barn kittens are very easily trained to use them.

Also many many years ago, when I was first married to my second husband ( long since divorced now) we had a barn kitten given to us. He also took to it quite easily. He was much younger and we just kept putting him into it until he finally used it, after that it was never an issue either.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeae
Lizzy was a 6 month old kitten that was born in a barn when we got her. She had never been inside or seen a litterbox, but she has never had any problems using it. She is a year old now, and still is faithful to it.

So it is my opinion that barn kittens are very easily trained to use them.

Also many many years ago, when I was first married to my second husband ( long since divorced now) we had a barn kitten given to us. He also took to it quite easily. He was much younger and we just kept putting him into it until he finally used it, after that it was never an issue either.
thanks zoeae!!, that's great information!! I just found out they are one month old now, so I've got a few more weeks to go. Not sure yet if it'll be one of the kitty's or this guy at the shelter, we'll have to see.

thanks for your input though, i like to know that they'll use their litter box!!, that's a good thing, LOL!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 04:24 PM

I got my kitty from a friends barn too. not only did she pick up litter training, but she has never gone anywhere else except the litter box. not bad for the first year. not to mention that i got her at 5 weeks. but i think my older cat kinda showed her the ropes which i think helped. i showed her were the box was one time, and after that, she just "got it". i guess im a lucky one though.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 06:21 PM

My Grammy lives on a farm. About 8 years ago she took in 3 kittens from the barn, their mother died when they were a few days old(a cow sat on her), and my Grammy kept them alive, and still has them. Three girls. They litter trained very well. They go outside a lot, go in the barn every now and then, and still use the litter box when they are in the house.

GL!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 07:00 PM

both of mine were barn cats. They've never had any inappropriate elimination issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page