I took a feral cat home yesterday. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

I took a feral cat home yesterday.

I don't know much about cats, I think this is a kitten actually. It is pretty small. Anyway, I was walking in another neihborhood and it just came up to me and started running around me. It's very active and skinny.

I decided to take it home. I locked in up in the bathroom yesterday. I fed it Sardines, milk and water. It finished all of that so I'm guessing it liked them and it was very hungry.

It does not bite or scratch. It has teeth and nails but it does not use them on humans. At least so far it hasn't.

ok I have some questions. is there any way to tell for sure if it's in good condition or has radies or anything without taking it to a vet? Do I NEED to take it to a vet?

It seems in good condition but a weird noise is coming from its stomach. As if the stomach is growling loud. It also scratches its left ear a lot. Besides that I don't see any anything weird.. it seems VERY active, just runs around me and jumps on things all day. It also loves chasing its own tail.. how cute.

I am going to bathe it today. I am thinking of using a sponge and warm water with antibacterial soap. Is that good?

Is what I fed it good? Should I keep feeding it that?

How do I carry it. From the front under the front legs?

I am not going to DIE from this am I? I got red spots over my lips the first time I brought it into the house, but they disappeared after a few hours. I am not showing any sign of anything.. maybe a bit itchy.

Is it ok for me to just leave it in the bathroom? It's small but I have carpets in all the other rooms.

Unlike other feral cats, this one is NOT scared of me or my friends. It also comes when I call for it. It seems too friendly actually.. not sure why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 04:28 PM

Re: I took a feral cat home yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citcat
is there any way to tell for sure if it's in good condition or has radies or anything without taking it to a vet? Do I NEED to take it to a vet?
I really does need to go to a vet.

Quote:
I am going to bathe it today. I am thinking of using a sponge and warm water with antibacterial soap. Is that good?
You really should use a shampoo specifically for cats.

Quote:
Is what I fed it good? Should I keep feeding it that?
You need to get it a good quality cat food. Sardines won't have all the nutrients needed for a healthy cat.

Quote:
How do I carry it. From the front under the front legs?
Support it mainly under the back legs. Similar to how you might hold a baby, but with belly side down.

Quote:
I am not going to DIE from this am I? I got red spots over my lips the first time I brought it into the house, but they disappeared after a few hours. I am not showing any sign of anything.. maybe a bit itchy.
The cat might have some fleas or you might be slightly allergic.

Quote:
Is it ok for me to just leave it in the bathroom? It's small but I have carpets in all the other rooms.
Do you have a litterbox? Once it's litterbox trained you shouldn't have to worry about your carpets.
It sounds like you might have gotten a cat that someone lost or just dumped.

Jennifer
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

I bathed it using antibacterial soap and I fed it cat food. It didn't mind being bathed. It was shivering a lot but it did not bite or scratch.

What do I need to train it to use the litterbox? Litter, a littlebox and just patience?

I am only worried about one thing now. It is making a sound, the sound is coming from between the belly and head. The neck and lungs "vibrate" and it sounds like whenever it breathes it makes a slight growling noise. What could that be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 06:45 PM

If it's not purring, I'd take it to the vet. It could have lung problems.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 06:59 PM

Well the sound could be purring, but I don't know how to explain it.....
You really should take it to a vet just to make sure he/she is healthy. The vet will check everything out.
To train to use the litterbox, in most cases just get a litterbox and put some litter in it. Put the cat in the litterbox. Maybe use your hand to make his paws scratch at the litter a few times. That's all most cats need. It's a natural thing for them to want something sandy to go to the bathroom in. As long as you provide it and show where it is, he'll take it from there.

Jennifer
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 07:24 PM
Tom Cat

One of my cats that was found as a kitten stray as well - all I did was let her eat up and after she was done, I plunked her down in the litterbox and away she went and that was it!

Angie
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Yes I think it's purring. I downloaded some audio clips of a cat purring and it sounds the same. It does that A LOT though.. why?

Thanks for all your replies!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 10:23 PM

Well cats can purr for any reason. Cat's have been known to purr if in pain.

The most common reason that cats purr is because they are happy

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page