Apt. to house - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Apt. to house

Hi,

I'm here! I'm here! I've been just reading when I do come to this site. Other times I've got better things to do than to sit in front of the computer all day! Besides, spending time with the kitties is more fun!

Well, it sounds like we're gonna be moving, and possibly into a house! Yay! I know I brought the topic up once before of dealing with cat hair and dust. We have the 2 cats in a 2 bedroom apt. Yes, still lots of hair and still lots of dust. I do whatever I can to cut down but so many times it looks like I haven't done a thing as far as vacuuming and dusting.

So, with that I have something new for you. When we move (preferrably a 3 bedroom house), my husband wants to get 2 kittens. We'd have 4 cats. That's the most cats I've ever had at one time. So, twice the hair? Maybe? Cause depending on the house we get, that hair would be distributed over a bigger area, so maybe it won't seem as hairy? Or is it just as bad as having a 2 bedroom apt? I know there will be more area to clean. I can live with that. So, my question is how do you guys that have multiple cats that live in a house keep up with it all? I don't have time to vacuum EVERYDAY, although with 4 cats I'd have to vacuum near that often! Especially when kids start entering the picture.

Keep in mind, not everyone's as gung-ho about cats as we are. I know my husband's family doesn't have to come visit (heard that before), but let's be realistic here. My husband's family is all very proper and not very tolerant of animals. A sister-in-law is scared of cats. A brother-in-law hates cats, so as a result him and my sister-in-law won't come over, you get the idea.

So, what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 12:17 AM

Well I live in a fair sized house, me and three cats, and there are days that I feel like I can't keep up with the fur. I think I was spoilt though before moving here. This house is tall with narrow stairs and lots of carpet. The last house I lived in was all hardwood! It was 1000 times easier to clean the hardwood! A quick sweep once a day is a lot easier than vacuuming! The next place I live I want hardwood for sure! So that's my only tip!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 03:58 PM

I have 3 cats in a 2 bedroom townhouse and no carpets, I feel like I can never keep up! We are moving to a 3 bedroom house in August and I am going to have hardwood floors put in and hopefully have a housekeeper come in once a week because it's crazy! I would never have carpets with cats but I am allergic to cats so that is my main reason, I can't imagine how much MORE cleaning I would have to do it I had carpets.

On that note, I wanted to get walnut coloured hardwood but I have been told it shows the dirt really easy even if you don't have cats so I guess I will be getting a lighter wood

To answer you question, I can't see a bigger home showing less cat hair! Unless you get a HUGE house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Premier Cat

Invest in a good vacume. I have a Miele vacume. It gets everything up. With a quick vacume on polished concrete floors and quick vacume on furniture. I do this each day or every other day. It doesnt take long because it does such a good job.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 10:06 PM

I have 4 cats and a dog in a 3 bedroom/2 bath. My house is approx 1700 sq ft. It is tile everywhere, but the bedrooms, which someday will also be tile. I have to admit that I sometimes have a hard time keeping up. I was sweeping my tile every day. My BF's dad bought us a shark rechargeable vacuum when they were in town a couple of months ago. It helps SO much. I vacuum my tile every morning with it. I completely wash my floors once a week. You hardly ever see fur floating around....unless I miss vacuuming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page