advice needed on moving cats NY to AZ please - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

advice needed on moving cats NY to AZ please

Hello. I will be moving soon and I need to know what is the best way to move the kitties. I can take them on board Jetblue, but the sizes they allow for the transport box is small in comparison to my cats. My wife wants to take them cross country in our car for 5 or 6 days, which I am against. There are companies that will move them in air conditioned vans, but they are expensive. I need to know what to do.
thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Jr. Cat

I have never moved that far with cats but.......

I was planning on moving with my cats from the south to Minnesota( had to cancel trip due to living arangements of cats). I was planning on putting the cats in a big cage( they sell them at Dr. Foster and Smith). It is usually used for adoptions , but it would be big enough for my cats to have a litter box , water dishes and food dishes. plus 2 shelves. Many hotels will accept cats if you plan ahead and give them a call. I also bought 2 soft carriers, just in case I had to sneak them into hotels. These carriers look like duffel bags and have rolled down sides and they are also sold at Dr. Foster and smith. I couldn't find a plane to take me to where I was planning on going so that was out of the question. I wish I could be of more help. Good luck. CAt
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:44 PM

One thing I would do is get them to the vet to get a shot for valley fever.I cant rembemer if there is one or not.Make sure you do have all their vet records with you even if they are copys till you find a vet down here to get them sent to the new vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Jr. Cat

forgot....

I forgot to mention there is also something that is used to calm cats for trips, ect... It is called rescue remedy. It is suposed to sooth cats under stressful situations. You may want to pick some up even if you take a plane. Cat.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the advice .
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Premier Cat

Make sure you have all your
phone numbers on tags on their collars you
could be reached at incase (God Forbid) you
would get separated from them. Have them
chipped before you move also. If you could
take inside the plane with you in a small carrier
that would be best. They love to hide and curl
up in small areas anyway so that would be workable.
Good luck on your move.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

To Mitts & Tess, please forgive me for not knowing what "chipped" means? :)
Also, what part of AZ are you in? We will be moving to Goodyear!
Thank you for the advice
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Chipped is short for microchipped. It's a small chip with pertinent information, so that you have a better chance of getting your cat back if it gets lost. Most shelters and vets and read the information.

Go to see the Grand Canyon as soon as you're settled. It is one of the few things deserving of the word "awesome." Actually, there are no words to describe the immensity and beauty of this wonder! Amazing. I went on a tour from Flagstaff, but I'm sure Mitts & Tess can give you the best idea.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzship
To Mitts & Tess, please forgive me for not knowing what "chipped" means?
Also, what part of AZ are you in? We will be moving to Goodyear!
Thank you for the advice
Im down in Tucson Arizona. Is Goodyear up by Phoenix? Ill have to get out my map! Jeanie is right, the Grand Canyon is awesome. Lots to see here. Sedona is wonderful. Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon are worth the trip which are right near the Grand Canyon.

Hope you have a safe move/ trip here.

Grand Canyon National Park Arizona
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 11:00 PM

good luck with your move! I"m about to move from OH to FL my cat will be riding in the car with me, (my husband's cat will come down at a later time....long story!) I recommend the rescue remedy! great stuff! I haven't had a need to use it on my cats, but I used it on my dog and use it on myself! it can be found at your local herb store, it's in a glass bottle with a dropper! good luck with the move! just so we all know, what hotel/motels are good with cats and what ones should we avoid? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page