Persians - High Maintenance? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Persians - High Maintenance?

Anybody else find Persians especially high maintenance? It's not just the grooming issue and the anus issue but for some reason the Persian I have seems less inclined to eat - turns his nose up at EVERYTHING, even food it enjoyed the week before AND it has a penchant for urinating on my kitchen floor. Ugh. and hairballs the whole time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:38 PM

What are you feeding it, and where is his/her litterbox? Many cats need 2. Many cats hate covered litterboxes. The most preferred litterbox setup is 1 inch of clumping, unscented litter in an uncovered box, in a quiet, low-traffic area. There are many reasons for fussy eating, and many reasons for inappropriate urination. Give some more details and we can probably help you.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:45 PM

He might have a uti if he is peeing on your floor. If it's not a uti - then maybe he wasn't shown how to use the litter box by his kitty mama (or his breeder?) When he pees - clean it up with the appropriate cleaners or if you catch him - grab him up and put him in the litter box. I've gotten peed on a couple times... and was the unfortunat to have Hali poo on me once - but it was something I had to teach him. He uses the litter box faithfully now.

Also - is he neautered? Did they miss a testicle? He might be peeing due to that - but I would think the area would be wider if he was territorial.

Since it is summer he will be shedding a lot more and hairballs will be a way of life. Try brushing him more or try different meathods to get the extra fluff off of him to reduce the amount - but they will still happen anyway.

P.S. Perisans ARE high maintenance - I'm sure everyone who has one can say that. They have super tangly hair that can matt up in front of your eyes when it's shedding season. Depending on their faces, you have to clean their cheeks and eyes from the tears and eye crud. The hair around their butts can be ruined by runny or even hard poo that either needs to be cliped out or wiped off. They also require more baths than usual to keep up with that luxurious fur. Then you have to do the general cat stuff - clipping those claws, cleaning the ears and brushing their teeth. Anyone who says Persians aren't high maintenence have either never had one - or don't mind the mess and care. I'm one of the people who don't mind the mess or time to take care of them. So I will say - nope - they are no work at all! But I do know the difference in work between my dsh and my persians and they definitly need more work than he ever will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:48 PM

P.S.S. Pictures please!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForJazz
What are you feeding it, and where is his/her litterbox? Many cats need 2. Many cats hate covered litterboxes. The most preferred litterbox setup is 1 inch of clumping, unscented litter in an uncovered box, in a quiet, low-traffic area. There are many reasons for fussy eating, and many reasons for inappropriate urination. Give some more details and we can probably help you.
Sure. I have 2 other cats and they both behave totally normally. The Persian...... I have 2 litterboxes and hte Persian sometimes urinates in those and always poops in there. But once a day - lord only knows why - he likes to pee on the floor near the front door. And my entire home is quiet and low-traffic because its only me who lives here! As for the food, one day he might eat some canned - I've tried Felidae, Nutro Max, Wellness, Iams, everything. NExt day he will stand crying by the food but not eat it. Every time he even looks at me, he will cry. He also spends 50% of his day at the front door, just yowling and trying to get out. I guess he just hates me.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

also, I've seen him urinate in the litter box with my own eyes. Not just once but pretty much every day. He knows how to use it. For some reason he insists on ALSO urinating by teh front door. Whenever I open the front door and go out he makes a MAD dash for the front door and will often run out. He seems desperate to get out although he's not a cat who has ever been allowed to run outside.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:52 PM

He doesn't hate you silly! Maybe he just hasn't bonded with you yet.

He also sounds like he might be a little sick.

Where did you get him? Breeder or shelter? Was he a stray that was outside all the time? When did you get him? Days? Weeks? Months? How does he and the other cats get along?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:55 PM

*slaps herself* Just realized - your cat sounds like my old boy Tigger. When he wanted to go outside - he sort of resented me for a while in our new home. He peed on the floor... whenever he could. Gah! It was so frustraiting. He got over the newness of the house eventually, but those days where horrible. Maybe he is just getting used to the place?

Oh yes - and how old is he again?
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeki Muffinhands
He might have a uti if he is peeing on your floor. If it's not a uti - then maybe he wasn't shown how to use the litter box by his kitty mama (or his breeder?) When he pees - clean it up with the appropriate cleaners or if you catch him - grab him up and put him in the litter box. I've gotten peed on a couple times... and was the unfortunat to have Hali poo on me once - but it was something I had to teach him. He uses the litter box faithfully now.

Also - is he neautered? Did they miss a testicle? He might be peeing due to that - but I would think the area would be wider if he was territorial.
He has been neutered. I guess it is possible that it wasn't done properly though!

Quote:
P.S. Perisans ARE high maintenance - I'm sure everyone who has one can say that. They have super tangly hair that can matt up in front of your eyes when it's shedding season. Depending on their faces, you have to clean their cheeks and eyes from the tears and eye crud. The hair around their butts can be ruined by runny or even hard poo that either needs to be cliped out or wiped off. They also require more baths than usual to keep up with that luxurious fur. P
LOL. When I tried to bathe him myself it was the most hilarious scene EVER. He just looked at me like "are you on crack or what?" T

Quote:
But I do know the difference in work between my dsh and my persians and they definitly need more work than he ever will.
Tell me about it. I also find the DSH more sort of easy going. She will eat whatever I put out for her and she feels able to pee in the litterbox too rather than on the floor!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
He doesn't hate you silly! Maybe he just hasn't bonded with you yet.

He also sounds like he might be a little sick.

Where did you get him? Breeder or shelter? Was he a stray that was outside all the time? When did you get him? Days? Weeks? Months? How does he and the other cats get along?
Maybe I should take him to the vet. I got him from a breeder. Tell me if this sounds strange to you. The breeder usually charges $750+ for kittens and several hundred (usually $400) for cats like mine who are a year old. He is pure-bred and supposedly show quality and yet she was DESPERATE to get rid of him. To the point where she gave him to me for free, didn't bother to screen me like she said she would or even ask me many questions. Now that I think about it, that seems weird to me. I wonder why she was so keen to get rid of him. I have had him for 2 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page