are your cats afraid of strangers? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

are your cats afraid of strangers?

My cats are six months old. When just me and SO are around, they LOVE to be in the same room as us, they are very social and friendly. But whenever our friends come over or anyone they don't know, they go into hiding and will NOT come out. If we pick them up and bring them downstairs they freak out and run back upstairs. They hide under the bed.

Is this typical of cats? Will they outgrow it and be more trusting of strangers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Banned

Rocket and Mellie are afraid, Tommy is not.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

what the heck is it they are afraid of exactly, anyway??!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Premier Cat

Velvet has always be very wary of strangers. She wasn't exposed to a lot of people as a kitten and I think just didn't become used to anyone other than my husband and myself. She used to always hide, but has been coming out a little more recently. I don't ever see her sitting one a visitor's lap, but she will at least come out and be admired.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 10:07 PM

My cat's have never been exposed to people coming and going from my house much, so they are both very leary of strangers.
Calypso will warm up pretty quickly. Korbel doesn't exist when people are over

Jennifer
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 10:40 PM

My two always, always run to the door to see who's here. Snowball doesn't care if you like cats or not, you WILL pay attention to him. If you ignore him, he WILL get in your face or on your lap, whatever it takes. We also do our part if we know a visitor doesn't like cats and make sure he doesn't bother them too much.

Simone on the other hand, it depends who's here. Like one Christmas we had 14 people here. She stayed in the bedroom. Whenever a family member comes over, she's out and about. Kids, she will stay in the bedroom. If it becomes very quiet, she'll venture out, but once she realizes the kid is still moving around (not asleep), she high-tails it back to the bedroom.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 10:42 PM

This is funny that this was posted today, because yesterday I would have said that Oliver is completely great and friendly with strangers. This morning I found out that he is deathly afraid of one person---the UPS man!!!! I picked him up to answer the door so he wouldn't run out when I was signing for the package, and he dug his claws into my shoulder, made some really weird noise, then jumped off and cowered down in the corner of the room until he left. The guy was funny about it---he got down on his level and was like, "It's okay kitty!" But Oliver was having none of it! He has never been like this with anyone before, so it makes me wonder what may have happened to him when he was a baby before we rescued him! Bad experience with a UPS man?????
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Cat Addict

Nico isn't afraid of anything -- we got him as a small kitten, and we have friends over alot, so he's always been around people. When we have parties, he is usually on top of the table if everyone's in the kitchen or laying on someone's lap in the living room whether they like it or not.

Mom hides at first when the doorbell rings but will come out to see who is here and will usually stay out of hiding once she recognizes them.

Miles is the weirdest -- he always hides during the day if someone comes over, but he will come out to greet people if they come by after 9 or 10 pm (boyfriend has a lot of late night visitors). I guess he figures he can trust the people who come by in the dark of night.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 10:52 PM

Ashley is TERRIFIED...Gaylord and Ivan are fine.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 02:25 AM

Gary has no loyalty to us. He immediately loves ANYONE that walks through my door. He is very curious around strangers, and likes to inspect their belongings.

I was very fortunate that his breeder had Gary socialized with many people starting at a very young age. He is only 15 1/2 weeks old right now, so hopefully he will always remain this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page