Do You Think Wild Cats should be kept as Pets? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
View Poll Results: Do You think Wild Cats should be kept as Pets?
No Never 26 76.47%
Yes I can see no reason why not 2 5.88%
Not Sure 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Do You Think Wild Cats should be kept as Pets?

Just thought I'd ask you all your opinions. After seeing that Picture of that beautiful Serval on the other board I was wondering what everyone else thought.

I believe that wild cats should be kept in the wild or in a Zoo or Safari park with an endangered species programme.

I don't think its fair to keep a wild animal on a leash in a home setting. The environment is just not sutable. Also what people also have to remember is its a WILD animal. Thats why there have been cases of these animals just going on instinct and attacking there owners keepers.

Just a few facts for you

In the past century, the world has lost three of the eight tiger subspecies. The Bali, Caspian and Javan tigers have all become extinct, and the South China tiger faces the same fate.

This beautiful cat is an Iberian Lynx

Having decreased steadily in population numbers over the last two centuries, the Iberian lynx may soon be the first cat species to become extinct for at least 2,000 years. The species is classified by the World Union for the Nature (IUCN) as the world's most endangered feline species. Habitat loss and degradation, as well as the disappearance of food resources (rabbits) are contributing to this declining trend. Today, there are no more than 38 breeding females in the wild.

There are only two confirmed small and isolated breeding populations, both in southern Spain, containing together just 120-155 individuals, and these will disappear unless significant changes occur.

I'm afraid I can see no way that peiople keeping these animals as pets is a good thing. Not for the Cats welfare or the species welfare. If anyone can give me a convincing argument for keeping them as pets i'd be interested to here it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 01:44 PM

I don't think they should. If there's a problem such as injury or something preventing an individual being in the wild, they are better off in a sanctuary for wildlife.

Thankfully, we don't have this problem in the UK.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
We can't afford to lose these beautiful cats. I strongly believe in the breeding programs with natural habitats! We should not have to face the loss of any endangered species because someone wants an exotic pet.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Banned

I can't think of any reason to disagree with anything said thus far.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:00 PM

I voted "not sure" but I'm more inclined to "No, Never".
The only time I see it as a housepet is when there are no ways to help them in the wild and today we have all kinds of activism going on for them so I believe they should live in their natural habitat..we have done a lot of damage as it is to substract more from nature for our own selfish purposes.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

Never in the world that wild animals shoult be kept as pets. I'm all for safari parks and zoos keeping wild animals in order to try and save endangered species, but wild animals are.... WILD, not domesticated and I don't think we should try and domesticate them either.

By the way, in Sweden it's illegal to keep wild animals as pets. You're not allowed to have hybrids such as Bengals, Savannahs or Chaussies either (F5 are legal though since they're not considered to be hybrids and therefor not wild).
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
I'm just gonna copy and paste what I said in the other thread...

I simply don't agree with keeping any wild animal as a pet, endangered or otherwise, if you cannot provide a home that closely mimics their natural environment. With smaller animals that's easier to do, but how many wolf owners can give their pets the equivalent of the 1,000+ miles wolf packs roam in one year? How many big cat owners can give their pets the space and habitat they would live in, in the wild?

Why do you think the best zoos in the world spend thousands of dollars to create habitats that are true to the animal? To make them happy, and content, and give them the closest possible thing they would have to a life in the wild.

It's very, very sad to me that it's not enough to appreciate a beautiful animal, but we want to confine it and keep it in our world, for our enjoyment. Because given the option, I highly doubt this would be the wild animal's choice.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 06:25 PM

Scribbles...I put no never..I do not think that wild cats should be kept as pets..I know what thread you are talking about...And I wanted to comment, but I was so angry that someone would keep something so beautiful and that belongs on the wild as a pet...

So I figured as the old saying goes.."If you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all"

And let me point out that I am not angry with the person who posted the pictures..But they should really think about it before getting a liscense to purchase one...

The things people put a wild cat through just to have it as a pet, or just to say they have it..They declaw them and some file teeth...Thats not going to help when instinct kicks in and it attacks and kills something..And its just doing what comes natural...And then sadly the animal will be put to sleep....Not all the time, but most of the time, these beautiful creatures will go to sanctuaries (SP) But some will sadly be put to death...

I had to vent sorry
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 06:46 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cats&counting
And let me point out that I am not angry with the person who posted the pictures..But they should really think about it before getting a liscense to purchase one...
that's so crazy. I was wondering about that. I'm just curious, not that I would ever do it. Wild animals belong to the wild, and wild animals that are endangered should be on a perserve program.

But I'm VERY curious as to how one would obtain a lisence for this. and how would someone get a hold of this animal? I find that so crazy

Angie
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockette
But I'm VERY curious as to how one would obtain a lisence for this. and how would someone get a hold of this animal? I find that so crazy
Honestly? Depending on where you live, it's not that difficult. I believe, though I'm not positive, that Florida is one of the more lax states. California is another one (remember the tiger that got loose?)

Check out this site, and scroll down. On the left there's an interesting article about exotic animal ownership and licensing in Florida.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page