Fleabusters Rx for fleas - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Fleabusters Rx for fleas

I have two cats that are currently having flea problems. I use Frontline on both cats once a month, and I was bathing only one until I found out I can bathe the other, too, with a little restraint. Either I'm not applying the Frontline correctly (and I do follow the directions) or the fleas are coming inside somehow. Anyway, one of the cats has tapeworm for the second time in 3 months. Now, this isn't quite what I'd call an infestation, but I'm so fed up with trying to achieve a flea-free home that I've been looking into more drastic measures.

I've been reading up on flea powders and came upon the Fleabusters Rx for fleas, and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this stuff. It says it's safe for pets, which is my biggest concern, and the reviews I've read all say that it's highly effective. I feel like I've tried everything (ie. baths, carpet sprays, and topical medications) so this is my last resort. Both positive and negative experiences are welcome, though if you post a negative experience you have to suggest a better alternative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 03:14 AM

I've never heard of a Frontline that you have to bathe to apply?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, I meant that I was using Frontline along with bathing them with flea shampoo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 09:03 AM

I've used Fleabusters Rx and it worked great. I highly recommend it.

Are you bathing before using Frontline? And then waiting 24 hours after to apply the Frontline.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:01 AM

None of the decent flea products should require bathing, IMO. I would recommend just a simple spot on like Advantage/Advocate or Stronghold.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 10:29 AM

I agree, emma_pen, and if you bathe a cat after putting on Frontline/Advantage you've just wasted the product.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

I always bathed first, and then applied Frontline last. At first I thought the Frontline wasn't working, because when the hair is dry it wicks the medication away from the skin. So I started putting it on after a bath where the damp hair was more easily parted. This technique was only used on one cat. And no, I didn't wait 24 hours before putting on Frontline, but here's why I think that method won't work anyway:

For the other (the one that I didn't bathe) I lightly dampened my fingers and parted the fur that way, and then applied the medication.

Both cats had fleas again within a couple of days. Can fleas be immune to the Frontline? I was using Revolution a couple of years ago (when I had a vet that distributed it) and I could comb through my cat's fur and see dead fleas soon after applying it. With Frontline that has never happened.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 01:12 PM

I believe the reason for waiting 24 hours after bathing is that you just washed off all the natural oils on your cats fur and skin. You need that natural oil to distribute the medicine across their bodies.

I did Frontline on my cats two weeks ago. A couple of days after I saw a flea on Bogart's paw, but then I haven't seen any since.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:26 PM

I can't really comment on Frontline, as I've never used it on my cats. I agree that using it on a wet cat might well affect the way the product works.

Some of the spot on always ends up running into the dry fur, but its normal and shouldn't affect it, or hasn't that I have noticed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page