intro questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

intro questions

Hi All - I'm in the process of trying to introduce my 2 new kittens to my resident scaredy cat. My resident cat is a 7 year old spayed female(Cashka) that has always been an only pet - I've had her since she was 6 weeks old. Up until about 6 months ago(when I moved into my new place), she had always been an inside/outside cat - so she had lots of exercise and other animals to play with.

After the move, her activity slowed down a ton, and she gained a lot of weight - so I decided that I would get her some playmates. I ended up adopting 2 8 week old kittens from a shelter on Saturday.

Pictures for those who want to see them(Bear is the black one, Jack is the tiger):
http://home.comcast.net/~jm_online/kitties.html

OK - now for the problems/questions that I have. I'm not really sure how the introduction is going - I don't really think that Cashka likes having the kittens around at all. Most of the time that I'm home, she'll be hiding under my bed(she can sort of see under the door where the kittens are staying from this position).

So, the last 2 days, I've tried to get the kittens and the cat to interact. So when Cashka is down in the living room(not hiding under the bed) - I'll let the kittens out of their room to explore and meet her. With them all in the same room, Cashka finds a corner of the room to hide in and watch the kittens - this is either under a table, or behind a chair in the room. The kittens will play around and eventually they'll try to approach her. When they get close, she will let out a hiss or a growl, and the kittens will stop, and then run the other way. Cashka is definitely not being aggresive to them - she hasn't even taken a swing at them yet. Of course that would be tough to do since she spends the entire time hiding. If the kittens do manage to get really close to her - she'll hiss and then run away - she usually ends up going upstairs and under the bed again.

I really can't tell how the introductions are going - on one hand, I'm glad that Cashka really isn't being aggressive to the kittens, but on the other, she isn't really interacting with them at all either and spends most of her time hiding.

So - anyone have any advice or comments on this situation?

Thanks a lot!
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 07:44 AM

Congradulations on your new kittens and welcome to the forum. It does take a while sometimes to introduce new kitties, but with time, patience and lots of love it can be done. It sounds like you have the right idea by separating them. You can also rub each of them with a towel to mix their scents. There are many posts in here about introducing new kitties, but I am not sure how to link them. I am sure someone will check in here soon and let you know which ones to read up on.

Good luck and enjoy!

Chris
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks! I've already read a bunch of articles about introductions - but most of them seem to deal with aggressive problems. I haven't really found any good ones that deal with hiding/non-aggressive ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 08:12 AM

I think you could still treat it as an aggression problem, even though there is none. It is basically the same process. Keep up the reading, you should find something to help. (darn, wish I knew how to post links, lol)

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page