Cat is eating new kitten's feces - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Cat is eating new kitten's feces

Apart from turning my stomach I fear that this is unhealthy for the cat. I got a new kitten, only 10 weeks old. The adoption center said she's litter trained but so far she's done poos on my floor twice. unfortunately the other cat eats her poo. The adoption center had put the kitten on STrongid and said it might cause a looser stool. Could this be why she is not using the litter box. She did her first poo in the litter box but the rest just plops out of her anus and drops wherever she happens to be. I am not sure if she is urinating in the litter box or not.

Also, I need tips on how to get her to use the litterbox. I sure don't want my home covered in her feces. Can anyone advise. Grown cat is totally litter trained and never had a single accident. i was hoping she might train her, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Banned

Sorry, I'm stumped. I subscribed to your thread, hoping I'd find out, too, about the eating feces problem. Frankly, I've never heard of it happening with a cat (not that that means much). My guess is that if this is a routine occurence, it might be a behavioral/psychological issue. Have you called your vet to ask? You could ask about the kitten, too. In fact, if you haven't had the kitten in for an exam, that's a good idea after an adoption. Then you could ask about both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
Sorry, I'm stumped. I subscribed to your thread, hoping I'd find out, too, about the eating feces problem. Frankly, I've never heard of it happening with a cat (not that that means much). My guess is that if this is a routine occurence, it might be a behavioral/psychological issue. Have you called your vet to ask? You could ask about the kitten, too. In fact, if you haven't had the kitten in for an exam, that's a good idea after an adoption. Then you could ask about both.
Diagnosis: the cat is insane. LOL.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 01:22 AM

Esp if the adult cat(s) are females, they may just be cleaning up after the kitten like they would do for their own.

Strongid is for roundworms. You might take a fresh (not more than 2 hrs old) stool sample to your vet to have them do a microscopic test for other parasites.

You should be feeding kitten food. Use the same kind all the time if you find one that agrees with her digestive system. You don't need to keep changing kinds because you think she's bored. Read the food labels: most of the cheaper foods are composed mainly of grains, animal by-products, and other garbage. This is not a chicken, it's a cat. Try to feed foods that have meat as the first two ingredients. Many cats (& dogs) are allergic to corn or wheat, brewer's yeast, etc. ("By-products" have no real food value, they are waste: beaks, combs, feet, various cheap guts, cancerous lumps, etc. And you don't even want to know what "digest" is!)

If this new kitten wasn't exposed to a litter box (or a place to dig) when it was younger, it may not realize what the box is for. Although it seems instinctive in most kittens & cats, there are some that seem a little "slow" to understand.

If this kit were mine, I would use a largish (perhaps dog sized) crate, preferably the wire kind instead of the plastic kind, if available. Fix the crate up with litter box, bed and dishes. If the crate seems too large, put an empty closed box or something in there to take up the extra space. It's best if she has the choice of relieving herself either in her bed or her litter box, and nowhere else. Most cats won't use their bed, so hopefully that would encourage her to use the litter box.

This isn't a prison. She can have safe toys. If you want to play with her, take her out and play with her, or hold her in your lap while you're watching TV. But if you aren't paying DIRECT attention to her, put her back in the crate. NO UNSUPERVISED HOUSE ROAMING! If you've got kids who can't follow rules, padlock the kitten into the crate.

If she pees/poops in the litter box, don't race to clean it out. Leave it there so she knows that's an okay place. If she doesn't cover it, you can cover it with the litter to cut down odor. Try to leave one poop or pee in the box as a reminder.

Some basic rules:
* Put the crate out of the way, but keep it where the family is, not down in the basement or out in the laundry room. Don't put it where it could be kicked or where loud noises happen (washer or dryer, etc).
* Use only plain cat litter, clumping or non-clumping; no perfumes, no additives, no unusual materials (pellets).
* No Litter Maid or other automatic litter box.
* No violence toward the kit if someone in the family takes her out and leaves her out and she pees or poops, unless you want to beat the human that did it.
* This training can take 2 to 4 weeks. Be patient. The problem probably didn't start overnight, and it's not going to end overnight, either.
* Once she starts using the litterbox regularly, don't be too quick to end the training. Let it become a habit.
* Use a good odor neutralizer where she has peed/pooped in the past, and be sure to use ENOUGH, about 1.5 times as much solution as there was urine, for example. Follow the directions.

Once she's using a box and you let her out of the crate, try to pay attention to what she's doing. Accidents? Return her to the crate.

Never put any litter boxes in high-traffic areas, esp where they might be kicked. Most cats prefer privacy and quiet. Multiple cats? Have multiple litter boxes, and keep them scooped.

Good luck!

Sue
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Banned

Meowmie pm'ed me this information and gave me permission to post it here:

Quote:
As for the cat eating feces, and the kitten pooping on the floor, the kitten is obviously sick. And the other cat can very well be malnourished and/or suffering from digestive enzyme deficiency. I'm not sure if worms and parasites might cause this behavior also. This is what they call coprophagia and quite often nutritional deficencies and digestive problems are involved. Feel free to post this since you've already responded to the post once. (Lots of info about coprophagia on Google.)

She should put Forbid or something similar in the kitten's food to make the poop taste bad to the other cat. And of course she should not allow the other cat to touch the poop period.

With this I would go to both a conventional and a holistic vet. (Holistic vets know more about nutrition related issues.)
http://home.gci.net/~divs/behavior/coprophagia.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page