I AM UPSET ABOUT THE AFRICAN SERVAL POSTING - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

I AM UPSET ABOUT THE AFRICAN SERVAL POSTING

Apologies to anyone who gets upset of what I am about to write, but I feel rather strongly about this subject:

I just can't believe how people can keep a WILD animal such as an African Serval as a domestic pet on a LEASH!

It is these kind of people who create a demand for rare wild animals. No wonder people in developing countries take the opportunity to hunt and catch them as there are stupid ...................... (censored myself) people who create a demand.

Trade in rare animals is one of the largest trades in the world. No wonder the number of endangered species is increasing greatly on an annual basis ... sadly to say. Did you know for example that an estimated 500,000 or so wild Leopard Cats are killed every year in China alone? Who knows the real statistics - most likely a lot higher - and how many are caught for the pet trade? I don't want to know as it just makes me sad and very angry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
There was a discussion posted a few days ago about this.

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=20219

As well as the opinions stated IN the original meet my kitty post.

Many people (myself included) feel the same way as you.

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks vanillasugar.

Rather new to this forum so still learning the ropes.

The more I think about this issue, the more upset I get by the minute. My stomach is hurting from my anger.

I wish I could say what I think about people who keep such a beautiful animal such as an African Serval or Asian Leopard cat as a pet on a ..................... leash, but I would be censored anyhow so better to be civilised about it ... I guess.

Wonder how he/she who is thinking of getting an African Serval as a pet if someone came and took his/her child and put her in a cage!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
You bring up a good point about the pet trade. Why are there so many animals seemingly "for the taking"? (the rationalization I hear most often is, "Well, they need a home!")

Because there is a demand! Because people desire these animals as pets, and until that is abolished, there will continue to be wild animals plucked from their homes in the wild.

And the sad part is, indigenous peoples are being made to strip their very own homes and ecosystems of these beautiful animals. Their birds, their fish, their big cats, their primates. Why? Because it pays well.

The demand needs to stop, the exotic pet trade needs to stop.

Do you know what is one of the biggest reasons behind the decline of great apes (gorillas, chimps, orangutans) around the world? Ape mothers would die before they let anyone near their babies. And there have been documented cases in which entire gorilla groups have been slaughtered so that the infants can be sold on the pet market. For every ape baby sold on the pet market, more of it's kind had to die.

The same goes for the dangers of transport. Wild birds (which are illegal, yet still in demand) frequently die in transit. So for every one bird that lives, many more died.

It's very sad

(I could go off on captive breeding too, but I'll spare you the rant )
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Premier Cat

I dont think there needs to be a third thread on this topic.

Please refer to either

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=20219 (Wild animals being kept as pets in general)

or

https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=20191 (African serval thread)

Closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page