insurance - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

insurance

Does anyone have pet insurance? If so, are you happy with it and what company are you with. I've looked into the 2 major ones and am overwhelmed! Help!

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 10:17 AM

I have mixed feelings about pet insurance. I've heard from many people, including vets, that pet insurance is not really worth it because you only bring your pets in once or twice a year and usually the bill is rather inexpensive. The time they really recommend it is when you have a senior pet that will need lots of tests or surgeries done. Otherwise you've spent quite a bit of money on pet care for how little they go in every year.

I know the last time I talked to our vet about insurance it was gonna cost about $60/cat per month. This is after the initial fees to get the insurance. $120/mth x 12 (year) = $1,440 for the year. My cats usually cost around $50 together for their vet care per year. This is shots and exam included. Now as they get older pet insurance might start looking more affordable with the costs of senior care.

Now, I'd probably highly recommend the insurance if you had a pet that was diabetic or had some sort of physical problem that required lots of vet care and/or medication. Up to that point it probably isn't highly needed.

Just my 2 pennies!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 10:49 AM

Actually, if your pet already has a diagnosed medical condition (diabetes) it won't be covered.
I just got insurance for my dogs. One of my cats has diabetes and the other has had liver problems in the past, so they were uninsurable.
With the dogs I got basically a disaster plan. It doesn't cover routine visits or vaccines. It covers illnesses or accidents and just about any surgery. It costs $13/mo/dog.
I haven't had to make any claims yet, so I can't say if I'm happy with them.
I have www.petshealthplan.com

I have their "basic" plan

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks for your answer. The insurance I've looked into is just for accidents and illness. You can also add regular care, but it's a little more expensive and as you said, it doesn't seem to make sense for that. However, the insurance that I have is only $9.95 for one cat and $14.95 for the other (older one) per month. I used it once when my kitten got an upper resperitory infection and it was great. Covered everything but a $50 deductable. My problem is there is another company and I'm trying to figure out which one is better. The other company seems to cover more but I've heard bad things about them paying in the past and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience. Also, if your pet has an existing problem they won't cover so you've got to make a decision on insurance while their healthy. I decided to do it after massive bills with my 2 last cats. They were brothers and had one thing after the other as they got older. I'm also of two minds. The reality is you probably spend about the same in the end but this way I figure you're not slapped with an enormous bill all at once! The smartest thing would probably be just to open a pet saving account and put $20 a month into it but...
Anyway, thanks again!

Victoria
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Banned

I have the same as Jennifer. I cover 3 cats for $27 / month. I have only submitted one claim, and that was handled competently. I'm satisfied, so far. The basic plan does not cover routine wellness care, and there's a $100 per pet per year deductible. More coverage is available for a higher premium. The other insurance with a good reputation is VPI.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 10:55 AM

i have insurance, but only for emergencies rather than covering annual check ups etc. I pay $9.90 per cat per month (more for Scully because he is over 8 and we have a more advanced plan for him as he had some health problems when we got him) - it comes to $42 a month for all 4 cats with the discount they give us for additional pets, with a set up fee of about $25.00 per cat (which they only charged us for 2 cats because they all go to the same vet so it wasn't as much paperwork).

Annual check ups we budget for... but in the last year Bumper and Scully have both got sick and needed a few vet visits each and we saved close to $8000 over a year, which would have been a HUGE drain on our savings.

My cat is diabetic, and while it was pre-existing and therefore not covered by insurance, we got insurance for him before he was diagnosed (the people who owned him had not brought him to the vet in almost 7 years since they had him neutered and declawed and last kitten shots. So we didn't know and he is covered - which is the majority of the money I saved because we had problems regulating it at first due to him also being on a diet because he weighed over 30lbs.

My vet charges $80 just to walk in for a check up or visit (he will include shots in this for annual check up - but not if its for something else) - so for me it is well worth the $500 I spent on insurance per year... especially with Bumper's sensitive tummy and Scully's long list of health problems.

To me $42 is a dinner out in a local bar - my cats are worth more than a dinner for me and my bf so we cut one dinner out per month and pay for insurance. The annual checkups we budget for - its not worth the extra $30 per cat per month they want to charge you for to have complete coverage.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 10:59 AM
Banned

Putting money into savings you'll be ahead in the long term if you have the discipline to actually do it, if your pet doesn't get sick or injured until you have enough money in the account to pay for it. With insurance you pay the same amount you'd put into savings, and it's like having the savings already saved up. Of course, if your pet never gets sick or injured, then the insurance company gets to keep the money. It depends on who takes the risk: if you want to take the risk yourself, then you put money into savings. If you want to pay the insurance company to take the risk, then you pay them for an insurance policy.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21
i The annual checkups we budget for - its not worth the extra $30 per cat per month they want to charge you for to have complete coverage.
That's what I do also. At work I have a flexible savings plan for medical stuff. I can have money taken out pretax and then I buy medical stuff through out the year (dr copay, aspirin, rx, ect....) and then submit a claim and get my money back. I have enough withheld to help cover the cost of routine vet bills, that way I don't even notice that I pay it, since I have a check just for this reason.

Jennifer
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 11:16 AM

I've been researching pet insurance for a while. I just found out that I get an additional 5% off as a business discount for VPI (I just started a new job) My BF and I are split on whether we should have the coverage or not. Of course I will win this one and we will get the coverage I don't plan on getting anything that covers routine care or vaccines. Just accidents and illness. I might go with a different plan for my oldest cat, but I haven't decided yet. I just want coverage in case something MAJOR happens.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

icklemiss21 which compay are you with?

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page