old cat now aggressive - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

old cat now aggressive

My 13 yr old, 21 lb male cat, Buddy has suddenly become very aggressive towards his 2 sisters. He has always been very docile and gentle with them. Recently he has started to stalk and attack them at night. He searches them out and attacks. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 10:27 AM

First off, how old are the other 2 cats? Buddy could be a bit agitated with them. You know how some old people just can't stand children, or all the noise that babies make? They just seem agitated with everything at times? Maybe Buddy is experiencing the same thing as he's getting older?

Does he seem to just out of the blue stalk and attack them or does it seem like he does it after they've done something....been to the vet, maybe they were outside, maybe they were held by someone with cologne on? It's amazing how animals can react to something not smelling right. Are you maybe spending more time with them and less with him and he's taking it out on them?

Maybe at night before bed you need to play with Buddy and wear him out so he leaves the other 2 alone? A nice play session with da bird, or a similar toy that allows you to interact with him.

I'm curious what others have to say on this topic!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Cool Cat

Any sudden behavioural changes, especially in an older cat, are grounds for a vet visit to rule out physical problems. I would take that route first; a geriatric screening, with bloodwork to rule out things like hyperthyroidism, diabetes, chronic conditions that could have worsened/become painful with age, or other diseases. Cats are very good at hiding illness and pain, so sometimes a slight behavioural change is the first noticable sign of a progressing physical problem, with obvious physical symptoms not appearing until the illness is advanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Premier Cat

I can't agree more with gudewife. I think you should take your kitty and get a full blood panal and check up first. Very often if a cat's personality suddenly changes there's something physical going on.

Victoria
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I can only agree with what has already been said. I hope he gets a clean bill of health, but I do think a trip to the vet is in order.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

I spoke with the vet and she agrees a visit is in order. Any other changes would be the ceiling fan is now on every night and the house is very hot. He attacks when all is quite and girls, Sadira age 17 and Honey age 5 are sleeping. Thank you for your responses - it's appreciated. Shabby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page