keeping your cats cool...? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

keeping your cats cool...?

So yesterday it hit 38 degrees celcius in Montreal with the humidex (that's about 99 degrees fahrenheit, I think) and the cats were starting to show it. We were even able to keep the bedroom door open all night (which we never can) and they basically just lay on the cool floor by the fan until morning.

They don't drink from their bowl, so we've kept the faucet in the bathtub running continuously for them.

I know cats lick themselves to cool off, but with such long poofy hair, can cats get heat stroke or heat exhaustion? I've gotten heat stroke before, but I don't know if cats can... is there anything I should be looking out for with them? Should I try to keep them cool... I don't know, dunk them in the tub... or do they know what they're doing?

<-- That's officially a sweating smiley now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 10:44 AM

This heat is unbareable... it was even hotter here... reached 45c with humidex a few days in the last week.

I am also leaving a tap running for them, but they do use their fountain, but lately have been fighting over it and i don't want one getting thirsty because magnum is being a pain. They also get icecubes in their water bowl of the fountain which they like to lick.

I leave the A/C on low and fans running for them in the day (thankfully my utilities are included in rent!) but we have also had blackouts and with not even a fan - its unbareable (the other reason I leave the tap running - just in case the hydro goes out and the fountain isn't letting more water out).

Someone also said on her that she made chicksicles - she put some boiled chicken in a blender and made ice cubes fom it and her cats loved it - so I have some of them freezing for them now.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Banned

Yes, cats can get heat stroke / heat exhaustion. The things you're doing and icklemiss's ideas are good. Another that I read about somewhere is one of those ice packs....you know, you put it in your freezer and then when it's frozen you put it in a cooler to keep beverages, etc cool. Take that and wrap it in a towel and put in where they can lay on / next to it to get cooled off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 10:56 AM

I don't worry about it here so much, its a dry heat
When I had rabbits, the thing we did to keep them cool in the summer was to freeze 2L bottles of soda, then put the soda in their cages, they'd lay up against them when they got really hot.
Jennifer
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 11:20 AM

When I didn't have air mine used to lay in the bath tub to stay cool. I never really worried too much about heat stroke. They seem to know it is hot and aren't very energetic. They usually just lay around and sleep
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Premier Cat

All great ideas. I used to have acat that really suffered in the heat (southern cal). My vet suggested I take a cool damp wash cloth and wet his hears and paw pads. That's where they sweat from I guess and it seemed to help him. Along with the other suggestions. Although, strangely enough, no matter how uncomfortable he was he wouldn't lay on the ice packs! But I put them out anyway.

Victoria
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21
Someone also said on her that she made chicksicles - she put some boiled chicken in a blender and made ice cubes fom it and her cats loved it - so I have some of them freezing for them now.
Ugh, that sounds absolutely revolting - I'm sure they'd love it.

Unfortunately our blender is sub-operational, but instead I put a couple tins of wet food in the fridge, which they seemed to enjoy. I'll have to try the chicksicles when we're living with the inlaws next month... except they have a/c anyway.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 09:28 PM

it's been 90+ for over a week here too! I also had rabbits in the past and froze the 2L bottle with water....my boys didn't seem to want to go near it....they find cool spots to lay (under the bed...on a wooden floor, in the bathtub, my tabby will sit in front of the fan!!!!!) My Devon Rex doesn't seem to mind the heat at all, infact he wants to cuddle with us 24/7!!! I'm so happy that I'm moving this week to a place with A/C
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'll have to have my two read this thread! I have this room air-conditioned, but Precious and Blueberry spend most of the day in the sweltering familly room--no fan, no air conditioning. We've had a hot humid week in Pennsylvania too. I love summer time, and I know cats like to be warm also, but it's just right in here, not too cold. I'm getting lonely--no company and only one bed buddy this week!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplaypen
Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21
Ugh, that sounds absolutely revolting - I'm sure they'd love it.

Unfortunately our blender is sub-operational, but instead I put a couple tins of wet food in the fridge, which they seemed to enjoy. I'll have to try the chicksicles when we're living with the inlaws next month... except they have a/c anyway.
My kitten will ONLY eat his wet food if it is COLD

I like the idea of chicksicles... sounds great!
We have been given the warning that there may be rolling blackouts this summer... currently Nevada points the finger at California, blaming them for hogging all our power... personally I don't care unless it really DOES happen....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page