Okay to add 3rd cat to 600 sq. feet apartment? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
View Poll Results: 600 sq. feet apartment too small for 3+ cats?
Dear God---Yes! Way too small! 10 43.48%
Space doesn't matter as long as its kept clean. 7 30.43%
600 sq. feet is plenty of room to roam. 3 13.04%
I have absolutely no opinion on this spaced out subject. 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Okay to add 3rd cat to 600 sq. feet apartment?

I live in a rather small 600sq. foot one bedroom apartment, I have one male and one female cat living with me right now, and I'm really itching to take in another stray. (my ultimate plan is to take in 2 more for a total of four cats, 2 male, 2 female) My question is, do you guys think my space is too small for three cats to be happy and not "get on each others nerves"?

The Original Male Kitten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 04:54 AM
Cat Addict

I've had as many as 4 in an apt. that size and I'd say it gets a little cramped, even for 3. It really depends on the cat but my babies need their space, and Ohhh there were litter box issues. My oldest used the whole apt. as a litter box. I now live in a 1500sq foot house with 3 babies and everyone is MUCH happier. MUCH MUCH happier. They seldom scrap and fight anymore. They have 2 rooms in the basement for their boxes and free range of everything but the upstair bedroom and they really take advantage of it.

But hey, If its what you really want, I say go for it.

-steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 05:05 AM
Premier Cat

I'd agree with catnip. It's really a bit small for more than 2. Cats are territorial and too many in a small space can lead to problems. Also it's actually not healthy for them to be cramped up together and no matter how much you love them, they may even get on your nerves! Ha! Just love the one's you have. Good luck.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 06:09 AM

Oh goodness. The apt. we have is 960 sq. ft., a 2 bed/2bath. We aren't allowed to have more than 2 in the apt. It's been that way for every apt. I've lived in. I'm already up to my eyeballs in cat hair with just 2 cats anyway. It doesn't matter how often we brush them or how often we vacuum, there's still hair.

The litter pan can be a problem as well. They say to have one more litter pan than you do cats. I do not have room for 3 litter pans, but my 2 do just fine with the one pan they have.

I think at times our cats would like a bit more room to run, too, but they seem to do fine with what we have.

Ultimately it comes down to is there room, do you have room for another litter pan, will you be able to keep up with all the hair and vacuuming and dusting, not to mention you'll really be on your toes making sure they stay out of trouble. I can't keep up with the two I have sometimes. It seems everytime I turn around they're into something else. Oh, boy!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 06:35 AM

We moved into a 960 sq ft 2 bedroom apt while we saved some money to buy a house and evn though they have their own room with their beds and litter and toys etc - it still seems very crampt with 4 cats!

I wasn't around really when he first got Bumper, so not sure how much extra work he was - but when we got Scully the house immediately seemed much more crampt (could have something to do with him being the size of 2 or 3 cats at the time).

If you are planning on moving somewhere bigger later, I would probably wait until then to get another
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 10:05 AM

I think it really depends on your cats, and not on the size of your apartment. Some cats wouldn't be happy with others around even if they lived in a mansion with their own butlers and separate entrances for all.

My own experience: I have four cats in about 900 sq ft, and they get along very well. Connor occasionally has issues with Boots getting into his personal space, so they sometimes get into little paw-batting spats, but it's nothing major, and we don't have any litter pan issues, fights, or anything like that. They have their own bedroom in which they are locked when we are away, and it has a nice window so they can dream about stalking birds.

However, Connor lived with several other cats in a small-ish apartment for the first six months of his life, and he's very social, and loves the company of other cats. The Sharks have been together their whole lives and would hate hate hate to be without other cats. Their attitude is not really typical of a lot of other cats I've met. My sister's cat stayed here for almost a year and she was NOT social and did NOT like the company and her issues with other animals created so many problems in the relationships between all my other pets.

You need to ask yourself if your cats will thrive with lots of company, if they'll just tolerate the other cats, or if they'll outright hate having to live so close to other cats in a small space. If you don't think that your current cats will absolutely thrive with extra company in your current apartment, it's probably best to wait until you move somewhere with more space. If they are super-social and love company, go for it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 10:11 AM

The other thing to think about is having a separate introduction room where you can keep the new cat/kitten during the introduction process which is sometimes hard in such a small apartment.
Mine get on OK in our apartment, and it actually forced them into getting along better (we were still having some intro problems with Scully when we moved).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Banned

I don't think it's so much square footage or cleanliness. I think it's whether there's some place for each cat to call it's own little space. I've noticed when my cats want to be alone, they have the opportunity to go into a room and be by themselves. I think if you have places for each cat to go to chill out, then you're OK.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 10:34 AM
Cat Addict

The fact that you're asking makes me think that you're really doubting it, but are looking for 'permission'. I'm afraid you're going to have to figure this one out for yourself.

In my opinion, it sounds awfully small for that many cats. I have a HOUSE and it seems that the three girls are always in each others' way, not to mention under our feet and into things. But your situation may be different.

Lisa
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I believe that the 600 sq feet apartment would become a 1200 sq feet apartment to your cats as soon as you add in some vertical space (furnitures, cat furnitures, kitty-stairways, and kitty-walks) for them to play on.

I have five indoor cats in a 600 sq feet apartment and my cats are never bored. My cats are all littermates, though (two from one litter and three from another litter) so they had always loved each other.

If you do get a third cat you should start allowing the cats on the furniture, otherwise the cats would feel really deprived of space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page