Leaving cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Leaving cats

Hello all,

I was just wondering if someone could give me some words of comfort and advice.

My wife and I are the proud owners of two black and white 2 and half year old cats. Brother and sister in fine fettle. My wife has the opportunity to work in LA for around four months and I am going to move with her from London. We are lucky enougt to have found two cat lovers who will rent our home and have agreed to look after the cats for us.

Will the cats be mentally traumatised by this swap? Will they know us when we return. To be honest this is the worst part of the trip, we are so worried about our cats and how they will feel.

Any advice would be great.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 06:21 AM

Hi David,
I know how you must be feeling, i have just come back from a ten day holiday and it that was bad enough for me, having to leave the cats behind even though i knew they would be looked after.

Cats i reckon can adapt pretty easily and as they are staying in your home which they are used to they should be able to adapt ok to thier foster carers.

When you return it may take a day or two for them to come round and get used to you again but as i said they are in familiar surroundings so this shouldn't be too much of a problem,
it would be different if you were changing thier living arrangements and going to a strange household then reintroduction may take some time.

You are lucky to have found someone to rent your property AND look after your cats while you are away, Some people might not be so accomodating.

I hope all goes well with your trip and i shouldn't worry too much!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks MaddysMama!

For a while there I thought no one was going to reply (maybe I had stepped over the cat owners line and I was abandoning them).

We have done some research and we knew that it would be more traumatic for them to change places than people but as you say it's still traumatic for us I have only been apart from the cats for ten days at the most since I went and picked them up as kittens it's enough to make a grown man cry).

We are lucky that we have found true cat lovers to look after them and it will make the trip more enjoyable knowing they are in safe hands.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 06:41 AM

Hi David, not sure I have an answer to your original question but I can tell you that most of the members here are from America or Canada, which means when we are at our most active in the forum, our American friends are fast asleep!! This is why it may take a while for a reply. I find that if I post when I wake up the next morning there are loads of replies...hope this helps a little...just keep checking and good luck with your move!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Ah yes! I should really get used to that time difference!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 07:44 AM

I guess it is more traumatic for us owners than it is the cats, i guess we can't help being worriers when we love our furbabies so much. and the cats more often than not don't know what all the fuss was about!!

Of course you are not abandoning your cats, you have sought a perfect solution for them to make sure they are well looked after whilst you are not able to, I know its hard but don't feel bad

The forum is most active at night as Spamlet mentioned due to the time difference, i usually pop in when i have some quiet time in the day to see if i missed anything ( much better than cleaning the house!!!!) but mostly come on when the kids are in bed.
This Forum is great for Advice and stuff and is also fun for hanging out, i hope you will enjoy it
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:33 AM
Premier Cat

As said above I think it's much harder on us! I had to leave my cats once for nearly 2 months and they were absolutely fine. They were maybe a little more excited when I got home then when I'm away for the day at work! Cats are very territorial so it's great that they can stay in their oun environment.

Victoria
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Cat Addict

I think one way for the cats to adjust better is to start moving in the new people's "smells" before you leave -- old clothes, bedding, etc. -- so the cats get used to it and know the new people are okay because they will associate their smells with you.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 06:33 PM

It's so fantastic that you're able to find cat lovers/house sitters for the 4 mths. That would take a load off my mind too. They will probably be quite sad for a little while, but adjust, especially since they're in their own home with familiar smells and nooks.

My Mozart is Daddy's boy, and whenever hubby's gone, he gets quite depressed, then slowly perks back up by the 3rd day. When hubby returns, Mozart's on him like glue for the first couple days.

As you said, it'll be hardest on you. Any chance of a webcam so you can "see" them? Big sympathies, we completely understand how you feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page